Rust pile

scottb80

I was cleaning out the back of my Norcold refrigerator yesterday and decided to take off the cover to the bottom of the flue. What I saw was a huge pile of fine rust flakes in the sheet metal tray under the burner. I cleaned it all out and tried rapping on the side of the flue, but wasn't able to get any more to fall out. Is my refer on it's last legs? I assume it's the original that came with '92 motor home. It still works OK, both on propane and AC, anything I can do to stop the deterioration?

whitey

Socttb8;

If i were you i would go on the roof and check and see the vent on top was not cracked and letting water drip down the flue.also your rig is twenty years old you may have to a new flue.

LEN

Very normal, your lucky you didn't have cooling problems. This is a once a year thing for me bang on the flue then vac junk out.

LEN

C Nash

Just constantly heat and cooling will creat condinsation thus rust. Normal in my opinion. As long as it works your are good. Just keep doing the maintiance as len does

scottb80

Thanks Everyone. Looking at my online parts catalog, it looks like the flue is not a replaceable part, so if it ever rusts through, then it looks like it's time for a new Refer.