RV Batteries

xcheck21

RE: RV Batteries

Thank you everyone for your help/input. I bought 2 new 12 volt batteries, they are wired one to the next then into the RV. I have them plugged into the house for now as the camper is just sitting until the end of March. Once it gets warm enought here in NY to run water in the tanks and pipes we have some weekends planned. I figure with 2 full propane tanks, 2 fully charged 12 v battteries and a Honda EU3000 for use when needed, buy 2 night 3 day weekends should be securely powered. Just to throw a fly in the ointment, I was thinking about installing some small solar panels on the roof of the RV. I understand from the little investigation I have dome so far that they power primarilly 12V accessories. You can never have enought power or water. I would hate to run out of either.

Triple E

RE: RV Batteries

Check the warranty. This should tell you something about the batteries. This day and age I don't think it makes that much difference on 6v Vs 12v. Be sure they are Deep Cycle. Just remember, your engine battery/batteries is/are 12 volt.

TexasClodhopper

Re: RV Batteries

I wouldn't waste any money on solar panels just yet. Someday they may be practical (in the real world), but not yet.

xcheck21

thats the feeling I'm getting also, seems like you dont really get alot of power for the size and time of charging. Gonna go back to the hamster running on the wheel in the cage.
LOL ;)

LEN

With the batteries you chose unless your a real power hog or heating in cold weather two nights and three days should be fine and with the gen you will be able to run indefinitely, now water and dumping are your main concerns.

LEN

xcheck21

where I camp in PA there are no services at all. You must be self contained. Thats why I have the gennie. But we have 2 300 gallon water cubes. We have out own campsite One on a small trailer. So we connect the cube to the city water line and we have plenty of water and I dont have to travel with water in the tanks, then on the way home I stop at cabellas on 78 and pay to dump. Love that store.
We fill the permanent cube from the trailered cube, and continue to fill the trailerd cube as necessary. 2 cubes, 600 gallons wil last 6 of us as long as 2 months.

xcheck21

my main problem is that i mainloy camp in PA, Pine Grove and the site where I meet my friends who also camp is a raw site. Only a space to park. We have to make out own power, carry our own water, etc, etc, it is more often than not where we are. On the rare occasion when we are at a site that has cable, electric and water hookups noe of these things are a problem. I think I have to find a different place to camp. :(