RV Bed Problem?

joeg11781

HI, I bought a travel trailer last summer, and have never slept in the bedroom(queen bed), my parents usually stay there and they recently brought to my attention that the top of the bed is lower than the bottom, so your sleeping on a pitch. The top of the bed is above a pass through storage compartment right at the front(hitch end) of the trailer. Has anyone dealt with this? Is there any common and proven way to support that section up? I thought about making something out of 2x4's and 3/4 plywood and putting it in the storage section to hold up the top of the bed, but I also don't want the bottom of the 2x4's pushing through the bottom of the storage compartment. Any help would really be appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

Joe

edit. I should mention that its not the mattress, ive put a 6 foot level on the box that the mattress sits on and the head of the bed is about 1/2" - 3/4" lower.

TexasClodhopper

Re: RV Bed Problem?

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

You haven't really stated that you think the 'roof' of the pass-through storage area has sagged. Has it? Do you think something else has sagged or is this just an engineering design problem?

Without more information (and assuming you have the main part of the trailer exactly level), I would tend to say that you should raise the mattress platform itself with tapered boards. That way you don't take away from your storage.

Now, an alternate way would be to lower the foot of the matress platform. That could be more problematic, though.

Keep in mind that 3/4" is not very much physically until you sleep on it that low; head down.

joeg11781

Thanks Texas, yeah i forgot to mention that yea the roof of the pass through is visibly bowed down in the storage area. And yes I thought 3/4" no biggie, till i laid on it, Blood rush big time. I was thinking about the tapered boards at first, but since the roof of the storage is sagging, this wont really correct that problem.

TexasClodhopper

What you need is an 'exoskeleton' support for the pass through roof. Add a sheet of 3/4" plywood on the top side. Screw into it from inside the pass through.

It will make the head of the bed 1-1/2" higher, but you can live with that.

If you can't, then add that much to the foot of the bed platform.