RV Fridge on propane

Violet22251

We are taking a cruise from Sept. 1-8, leaving out of Port Canaveral, FL. We have arranged to park our RV and toad in a lot in Cape Canaveral. Will the batteries last for 8 days running the fridge on propane? A good friend of ours(also a full-timer) says no.

If this is true, we will have to empty the entire fridge/freezer before Sept. 1st.

We'd love to hear from anyone who has experienced this same scenario. THANKS!!

H2H1

Violet that a good question. I will follow your question just for the answer. I am sure you will hear from our experts on here. Where
you going on your cruise?

LEN

If the batteries are up. And there is nothing else left on. They should last a week or better. The problem being,, that there are many items that are left on. So you must manually turn everything you can think of off.

LEN

H2H1

Len could she turn off the breaker to everything except the fridge and be OK. Violet I have been on that cruise, it was a fun time. I can tell you that Cozumel is very hot this time of the year. When we was there we went to ruins and we was running to tree to tree to get out of the sun. Also they drive like hell over there so don't be surprise if your grip does get tighter as you go down the road. They will stop at little clay pot shops trying to sell you some very cheap pottery. Also keep you money in your front pocket and you hand on your purse at all times. There are some very good pick pockets over there. Be careful and have fun.

Violet22251

LEN,

Thanks! I think we can handle that.

H2H1,

Good advice. We were there(Cozumel) once before and had a nice time. Your suggestions and cautions are most appreciated!

Violet22251

Grandview Trailer Sa

If you unplug everything except the refer, your batteries should last that long. Make sure the LP detector is dead, the radio, any other alarms that pull on the battery...and make sure you have enough LP!!

Violet22251

I thought I would post an update...

We arrived at our RV at 8AM on Sunday, Sept. 8th. We had unplugged everything, had shut down the chassis battery, and had also shut down every non-essential circuit breaker. The refrigerator/freezer had worked perfectly!

Thanks again for all your help! :)

doctormink

I'm thinking that a solar panel might help keep a battery charged too. Another trick I have heard of is to put an ice cube in a double ziplock bag and put it into the freezer, if the cube is melted and refrozen that means that the freezer has been out for a while.