RV Newbie: First decisions...

NoBite

Background info: My wife and I are avid horse campers and trail riders. We have recently been informed that our favorite horse camp in the Shawnee Forest of So. IL has a spot for us. This is the sort of deal that you pay a monthly or annual fee and you get that spot reserved only for you. Folks without a "permanent" site take their chances on whatever other spots are available on a day-by-day basis. The spot includes water, electric and sewer hookups and pens for the horses. We have a horse trailer for transporting the horses and live about an hour from this camp. We are looking for a travel trailer to leave on this site pretty much year 'round. The camp allows you to add whatever amenities you'd like to your site as long as you stay within the boundaries of the site. I've seen some pretty elaborate set-ups!

Here is what I know we'd like in a trailer: queen-sized bed, ducted A/C and heat w/furnace - thermostat controlled, kitchen can be fairly basic but needs a microwave and sink, ref/freezer that works off elec/batt/propane, shower stall and bathroom with sink and toilet and cabinets, dining area nice but not essential, if must choose between dining area and couch - couch big enough for two large dogs, wood paneling, plenty of closet space, CD/radio with internal/external speakers, awning. What I have described is basically what we already have in our LQ horse trailer. However, that trailer is not what I want to leave at this camp. It is for trips elsewhere. We have a smaller horse trailer for coming and going. I do not anticipate other occupants besides my wife and the dogs.

When it comes to LQ horse trailer interiors, I know some of the quality brands and makers. I know nothing about travel trailers. I am looking for advice. Size, brands, styles? I have a tow vehicle that will handle much more trailer than I will need for sure! So, what comes to mind that might meet my requirements? What other questions might you ask me to help me further define what we need/want?

NoBite

RE: RV Newbie: First decisions...

Well, since my post this morning I have visited a local RV dealer known for quality and service. A salesman there spent quite some time with me and showed me a few things to look for in a travel trailer. We discussed size and amenities. Fortunately, most every amenity on my list is pretty much standard equipment these days. I found two 2007 trade-ins that are likely candidates. At least they give me something to compare to and think about. My first impression is you sure can get a lot more living space in one of these units than in even the nicest LQ horse trailer, unless you are willing to spend six figures for the horse trailer!

LEN

Re: RV Newbie: First decisions...

Unless yuou are set on a TT you might consider a 5th wheel as even the shorter one give you a bed room and with to days market they are a buy. Plus if you buy locally and don't have the 5th wheel on the tow I'm sure you could work a deal to have it delivered and parked, mayb even as part of the purchase. Add a couple tipouts and you have lots of space.

LEN

rjf7g

I have a 36' park trailer with two queen bedrooms, a super slide out with a 4 seat dinette and a sleeper sofa on it, a residential fridge (110V only but cheap to replace), microwave, propane furnace, AC, hot water heater (gas or electric), and a sliding glass door. I keep it on a seasonal site. I bought it brand new, custom ordered from Grandview Trailer Sales, and have been very happy with it. We have a lot of storage inside and out.

I don't know what kind of roof your horse trailers have, but you really need to pay attention to the roof of a trailer.

NoBite

Thanks, guys. Well, after talking it over with my wife this morning and reporting on what I have found so far, she posed a two-step process. This camp site space will be a new deal for us. We have ridden out of that camp many times, but having a site there and experiencing camp life might be a different story. She is talking about the idea of selling the LQ horse trailer and changing our entire riding strategy. We got that trailer so we could vacation at a variety of camps all over this part of the country. We've been to quite a few and enjoy doing that. But, she hasn't found any riding better or with more variety than in the Shawnee Forest. So, do we abandon our current trailer and go with the camp site pretty much exclusively? She wants to try it for the year's lease on the site and see if we like it, before selling the LQ horse trailer. This means owning (buying) two pieces of equipment. As mentioned, we also have another horse trailer, so we'd be trailer poor! If we like the camp scene, then upgrade to something nicer, but why not start with something that will get us by in the meantime? That's a pretty convincing argument. One thing's for sure, even with a generous sized LQ in a horse trailer, these travel trailers look enormous! So, I might well be investigating something in the $5,000-$6,000 range as a one-year experiment.

safari 28

Why not try and steal a 2000 to say 2005 Airstream in the 25 foot range? They have a real clear coat problem and the values are dropping like a rock. It will hold its value over time and need stripping and clear coat, but if you dont care how it looks, the value is great. They tow like a dream and potential resale is higher than others if bought correctly. Happy hunting!!

Personally, I would not just want to have camper on one site year around. I have a 35 ft. class A RV that I travel with the family. You can definitely get a really good deal on a camper and You can get a nice camper for 5-6k. You should even go alittle bigger than you plan, because you never know who might want to visit.

Good luck !