RV Problem

utmtman

Enroute to Arizona last Sept, we were truckin along across the Navajo Nation when my rv just lost power, it didnt die but dropped in rpms to an idle and it would not do anything except for run at that speed. We stopped and shut the engine down and I looked over the engine and found no problems. But now it would not start. I finally turned off the chassis air conditioning and it started but had an engine light on. We continued to Petrified and let it ride until I came this way to get it looked at. Anyway when we started yesterday at Petrified it started fine and the engine light did not come back on. I am thinking maybe the airconditioner pump might have froze or quit and it shut the engine down. Not sure though. Belt didnt break but I have not tried to air to be sure for fear of something happening. The air pump was doing a bit of squealing when we first started up and left Utah and fact we could not start rv with air turned on is what makes me think it may have hung up.
Any ideas or suggestions before I take it into the shop on Monday.

ARCHER

Re: RV Problem

My ole gasser did something similar, but I did not have A/C on. It all of a sudden seemed to lose power and would only go a short speed at almost an idle and every time I tried to give it gas, it would seem to almost stall out and die, and if I let off the gas, it would run pretty smooth at around 30-35 MPH. When I got home, I changed the in-line gas filter and it ran like a charm again. Like Jim said, check the filter for clogging. Mine was doing just fine and started in the clear blue.
My truck just did something similar but it was the distributor cap, rotor and plug wires needing replaced. Good luck and hope it is something easy to take care of. ;)

utmtman

Well they checked the engine and it come back that the engine throttle sensor set off but can find no reason for it. They say it does happen with these workhorse 8.1s from time to time and they can never find a problem and that its one of those intermitten things that happens. So for now we shall see what happens.

G

Lee did they use a lab scope on the TPS ,, and check it from closed to wide open??? ,, With the lab scope u can find breaks in the wave pattern ,, that a normal scan test don't see ,, and also if they look at the voltage ,, as they move the throttle (engine off of course) ,, u can kinda see a change in the voltage ,, but a lab scope works better ,, can actuall see the wave form break ,,, if it does ,, :approve: :approve: ;) :cool:

miket

RE: RV Problem

If anyone has a 2004 or later Workhorse chassis, the fuel filter used is hard to get. I'd recommend you replace it if one can be located. They are about $60.00 through Workhorse. There are no after market filters available. The filter may not be your problem, but it may be over due for a change. Fuel is constantly circulated through the filter and back to the tank, with the engine getting what it needs to run.

H2H1

Hi Mike I have 03 Fleetwood south wind 36' , well the fuel filter is located on the frame in front of the tires on the left side. It seems to be easy to get to and change. I don't know the cost as I never changed it. But you do raise a point, that maybe I should, the MH has only 22,000 miles on it

G

Hollis u should have changed it by now ,, FF should be changed every 10,000 miles ,, or more depending on the fuel u get ,, i change mine 3 once a yr ,, even though i know they are not due ,, just a piece of mind for me ,, and u guy's know how i worry before a trip :eek: ;) :laugh: :laugh: :approve: :approve:

H2H1

yes Rod we know how u worry about your up coming trips. OK I will change it in the spring when I change the oil. I will go on line and order one if I can. Rod brother hung up on me while I was talking to u. he will call back.

utmtman

I dont remember when I changed the fuel filter last. I will have to look thru my reciepts and check that out. I dont know what they did to check the problem with the engine. They only spent about 45 minutes on it what ever they did. I am going by there for some parts this morning and will ask them.

DL Rupper

I change my fuel filter in the Dodge Cummins every 10 K even though the manuel calls for every 15 K. My series of Cummins has a history of fuel lift pump problems and I'm thinking if I keep my filter clean it will keep the fuel lift pump from working harder to supply the fuel to the engine. Yhe lift pump is located outside of the fuel tank and if it ever goes out the fix is installing the new fuel pump in the tank. Big expense.

H2H1

well I went and got me a new fuel filter today for my workhorse 8.1 at NAPA. The cost was $16.23, so I will change it when I change the oil in the spring. The reason then and not now is the fact it is winterized and not going anywhere, so I can wait until warmer weather.

elkhartjim

Don't forget where you put it Hollis. I always put stuff so I'll know where it is and then can never find it.

H2H1

Hi Jim, I am keeping it my work bench in the garage. This way I see it each and every time I pass thru the garage. And as it get warmer I will be looking at it more offend thanks Jim for the reminder, now what did U say :laugh: :cool: ;)

miket

The Workhorse filters up to the 2004 model year can be bought at any parts store, it is the 1 inlet 2 outlet you can not find that is used on 2004 to current model year.

H2H1

Mike you are right, I called Work Horse and gave them my VIN and they told me I could get it at any auto part store, but only NAPA had it

utmtman

Dont do like me Hollis and put it on the bench than cover it with all kind of other stuff over the next couple of months. LOL Been there done that way long time ago. I do that here in the motor home too, buy lamps for bedroom and put them in the cupboard in until one burns out and by golly bury them for time and eternity.

H2H1

Lee I even took them out of the plastic sack so they are in plain view. I put the oil the oil filter and a new gas filter so there is no way I will forget where they are. Now that doesn't mean I haven't , because I have. lesson learned