rv storage?

helibob

hello all,
i`m thinking of storing my rv inside, have seen these units called cover it, basically steel framing with a canvas cover. only problem is it will be near trees,so dont know if branches will go thru it. also saw the large aluminium carports for rv`s . hopefully i will not need any permits.
any comments or sugestions? thanks bob

exnav

rv storage?

Bob,
I have had a trailer for five years now and have never covered it or stored it. Its not because I don't take care of my stuff, Its because most seasoned RVers have told me that covers can trap moisture and cause mildew. They also put it this way... "you dont cover your house, so why cover your RV? It needs to breathe!". Now granted if your parked under trees or close to the road you may want to cover it, but if you have a large open area to park dont waste your money.

turnipbwc

rv storage?

helibob,
This site will show you some fine looking RV garages and RV shelters.
Unfortunately they only sell in a few southern states and don't ship to other states. Not sure if you could buy one and pick it up in one of their places. At least it will give you some ideas.
www.bradleybuildings.com/rv.htm
I keep my RV in my barn and never see any moisture at all and I check it all the time. I can see where a cover would cause dampness or moisture but not a garage or barn where air can get all around the RV
Good Luck whatever you do.
turnip42

helibob

rv storage?

turnip42,
thanks for the site, they have what i`m looking for, i`ll see if i can find a place closer to home,
just want to keep snow off and sun from beating down on it.
bob

turnipbwc

rv storage?

Bob,
There was a man who lives about 20 miles from me here in WV that put up one of those Mighty Steel Grand Beam 14'x45' RV buildings and it looks really nice. Sits beside his house on Rt. 2 and has matching siding. Sometimes when I go by he has the door open on it and you can see his motorhome inside. He has a beautiful motorhome, one I can only wish for.
turnip42

hertig

rv storage?

One thing to look out for on those fabric covered RV 'homes' is how long the fabric will last before it disintegrates, and the cost/availability of replacement fabric.

The aluminum covers don't have that problem. However, check with your local zoning. I wanted to put one up, but they require a permit for ANYTHING over 200 square feet (about $100), and where I wanted to put it would require a zoning variance which would cost $500 to even apply for.

helibob

rv storage?

hi hertig,
i`m check ing on the zoning stuff now. eventhough its not a permenent
bldg there mabye some restrictions on height or setbacks.
thanks bob

hertig

rv storage?

I think most if not all of the aluminum ones are bolted to concrete footings sunk into the ground, and so are considered 'permanent' (or at least a way to get permit fees and increased property taxes out of you :) ) Also if it 'touches' or is 'attached' to any existing structure, it needs a permit. In my case, there is a 12' height limit, and it must be at least the greater of 6' or 2/3 the height from any structure or property line, or it will require a zoning variance.

Ed H.

rv storage?

I used to have a CoverIt for my old car. They are so airtight that you have to put vents in them. The fabric is supposed to last for about 20 years. The snow brought mine down a couple of years ago (no, the car wasn't in it) because I didn't do like they warn you to and clean all the snow off it in a timely fashion.
As for the RV shelter that is only sold in the deep south, it probably will not take a snow load. If you persue that brand, get it in writing that the thing will hold up.
Ed

Poppa

rv storage?

HMMMMM. Guess I won't have that problem unless I put a storage shed on wheels, Nellie Belle doesn't set long enough to store. :cool:

Guess we are a family on the run