rv taxes in Virginia

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by smagz1art, Mar 12, 2010.

  1. smagz1art

    smagz1art New Member

    HI everyone.
    I have been reading the blog for about a month now and I must say it has been very helpful.
    My wife and I are both teachers in Virginia and are getting ready to retire and try full time rv-ing .
    My question is, if we buy a new class C motorhome, do we pay a yearly personal property tax? If so, is
    it possible to register it in another state and avoid being taxed
  2. vanole

    vanole Senior Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia


    Yes you will pay the tax. I've bought both of my M/Hs out of state (NC and CA) and ended up paying the sales tax and then the yearly personal property tax. Could you register in another state ??? Sure but you may run afoul of the law especially if you are going to use the tax happy Commenwealth as your home of record.

  3. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia

    Guess I don't understand the question. I do not pay property tax on our MH. I do buy a tag ever year and there is tax on it. Welcome to the forum Thomas
  4. rjf7g

    rjf7g Senior Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia

    Welcome to the forum. I am an administrator in public school system in Virginia but have a while to go before I can retire. I have a park trailer and a class C motor home registered in Virginia. I pay the full personal property tax price (no car tax relief) for these (or my boat). I get my motor home inspected and keep tags on it as well. Both of these cost, too. I lease property in one county and own a home in another, so I have different toys registered in different localities within Virginia.
  5. TexasClodhopper

    TexasClodhopper Senior Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia

    Now all ya'll that come to Texas from "up there", please don't bring those kind of property tax ideas with you.

    When ya get to the state line, jus' do ever thing you can to ferget about it, 'cause we don't have those taxs here, and we don't have any reason to get 'em.

    It jus' ain't nachural, ya know whut ah mean? :clown:
  6. utmtman

    utmtman Senior Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia

    I moved my address to South Dakota last year so I would not have to pay state taxes and property tax on our vehicles, but I still have to pay the registration fees on my rv and car but its far cheaper than Utah. I also had a drop on my vehicle insurance 400 dollars a year by changing address. Since I live in my rv I can basically stay in any state as long as I am not in one location more than 6 months I believe it is. I am from Utah and spend a lot of time there cuz of children, friends, and places I love to fish and camp. I wintered in Utah which was a mistake I will never make again but I am getting ready to get out of here come April just so I cannot be considered as living here, I have been here since Sept.
  7. keithb

    keithb New Member

    Re: rv taxes in Virginia

    +1 for registering your RV in South Dakota. I have some friends who did the same exact thing 2 years ago and they were from California. My friend said within two hours of entering South Dakota he had a S.D. license, was registered to vote, permanent address, and tags for his RV. :cool:

Share This Page