RV Towing

dadshotrod

I am planning on towing a small car ( SCION XB ) behind our recently purchased diesel pusher. I have been told,that model can't be flat towed. So I was thinking of buying a small car dolly with surge brakes. I would appreciate hearing any & all PROS & CONS about this set-up!!! I had surge brakes on a boat trailer & they seemed to work fine!! THANX for looking!! BOB

Triple E

Re: RV Towing

Before you do anything I would call Remco. Ask them about flat towing your Scion. Personally I have no problems with surge brakes on a trailer.

www.remcotowing.com

Hollis has done both. Used the dolly and flat tow. He should be on shortly and will be able to answer your question.

akjimny

Bob, I towed a 2002 Chevy Venture van to Alaska and back last summer on a tow dolly with electric brakes. Did not do any favors to the van, the dolly , the motorhome, or my gas mileage.

Tow dolly scrapped going over every little rise and fall in the road. Driveways and entrances to stores, etc. were especially bad. Combination of Canadian snow, mud and all that bouncing around tore up the van.

Given my bad experience, I don't see me ever using a tow dolly again. Maybe you'll have better luck.

vanole

Good info and like Triple E I'd check with REMCO.

Additioanlly a thing to consider is your overall length with respect to the size of the site or sites you will be parked in. A few campgrounds require you to park your dolly off site if you are too long. Also the dolly is one more thing you need to register and liscense.

I've towed both ways and each has it advantages.

V/R
Jeff

H2H1

well I don't know what happen to my post from last night. Any was I do use both. I used the dolly for the Honda Accord and tow my Saturn A4D. I have towed on a dolly to Flagstaff, AZ and to Rapid City SD. My dolly does not have brakes, but if you just do the posted speed or lower if posted at higher speed you will be OK. My MH did not even know it was there. The only reason I used the dolly, Maria did not want to put on more miles on her car. The miles just adds up on the Saturn when we tow it. :laugh:

chaz58

I towed with both I'm currently towing a Honda fit all four down can't tell it's back there. I've also used a tow dolly to pull the better halves mini cooper without any problems. I like both but the tow bar is more convient, but the tow dolly allows much more flexibility to tow whatever you want without installing base plates on the dinghy. Simply put it's just what you prefer :)