RV Trip planning

maxscott

I have just signed up to the forum. We are starting the process of researching the type of Rv we would like to purchase in the US for an extended tour of the USA.
The subjects that are extremely interesting to us now relate to the size of RV we should be looking for and if it should be a deisel or what we Aussies call petrol. gas in your terms but we also have gas (LPG) conversions in RV's in Australia. IE the Ford V10 in Winnebago.
Like many who have asked the question before, where do we start. I do have a history in RV as an ex salesman of Winnegabo RV Motorhomes in Australia so my basic knowledge of how they are put togethe and work is pretty good. Unfortuneately we do not have the huge selection of different models that are available in the US.
My quetsion is, are there any particular RV's that have a bad track record in terms of build quality and at the other end of the scale, which are the better ones to look for.
We plan to begin our adventure around June of this year so we are starting to read forums and research websites to try and formulate a budget for the 6 months. I don't see that renting a motorhome would be an economical proposition and the idea of a fully equipped used RV around the $70k to $80k US dollars would be the ideal purchase. There may well be some of you who have what we are seeking and are thinking of retiring from the RV life and are looking to sell your loved units.
My preference at this stage is for a deisel pusher but a "gas" RV is not out of the question so I ask you to advise which is best. I do not intend to tow anything at this stage. Slide outs, at least in the bedroom and lounge are required but overall length is flexible.
my persoanl email can also be accessed for sending information.
maxwellscott2@gmail.com.
thank you for allowing our interaction within your forum.

C Nash

Re: RV Trip planning

Max welcome to the forum. First its a bad idea to post your email on the forum. Spammers will load you up. We can pm you from your profile. Hard to say on the rv as to what will best suit you. A gas unit should do fine and gas is cheaper gallon here at present. In that price range I assume you are talking used. Alegro comes to mind and something in the 30 to35 ft range with slides. Think you will need a toad if you are going class A if you plan on sightseeing. Rented vehicle in towns you plan to visit is an option. Lot of interesting places to see that you would not want to take the MH. We have a HR Vacationer and it has been a very dependable unit V10 2002 Ford chassis. I know we have a forum member that has a 2004 35 Alegro that he may be selling due to illness. If he dont read your post I will alert him. Hang around

maxscott

Thanks for the advice. PM is semi disposable as I had considered it may be mis used.
We are interested in all you have to offer. At present researching if it will be more difficult to insure the RV due to the fact we are Aussies etc. Also licencing requirements of driving RV's in US. i do actually own property in Rochester in NY soI am used to travel in the US as I have been ove every couple of years. It is what has given me the bug to see all that wonderful scenery you guys have over there.

C Nash

Max there are several Aussies here on the forum that have already done what you are planning. Sure they will be able to advise on the insurance and other problems you might encounter. Just hang around and ask away.