RVing with children, want to do it safely!

SusanV

We are taking our first trip in an RV this August, travelling with 11, 13, and 16 year old boys who travel well. Our RV knowledge is zero but our enthusiasm is high!

We will be travelling in a 31ft Class C, and are aware the boys will be able to move around as we're driving. Common sense tells me this could have its perils. Can you give me any pointers on how to do it safely, especially as regards mistakes a brand new camper would make? We obviously want to enjoy our holiday as safely as possible, but without undue worry. The boys are used to travelling (my husband and I are travel writers), they've got good heads on their shoulders, but being novices, we don't know where any 'hidden' dangers might lay, if there are any.

Thank you for any advice you can share! :)

rjf7g

Re: RVing with children, want to do it safely!

The safest way to travel down the road in a class C is to have everyone sitting in a seat with the seat belt on! Allowing people to walk in the class C while it is in motion is very dangerous and shouldn't happen. If you want to fix a sandwich, pull over.

SusanV

Are there seat belts at the dinette? That's the only place for them to sit, but I don't remember seeing any seat belts there. :question:

Domingo

RE: RVing with children, want to do it safely!

Wife and I travel with three(6,5 and 2 years old)of the most wonderful children. We like to keep it that way. Wetake every precaution as we can. Your children are older and are able to think on their own with help from good supervision from you. We listen to our children and have learned how long they can handle sitting in a car seat. We plan our trips drives to double the time it takes to get there. We stop for bathroom breaks take walks and allow them to explore a little. It is easy to continue driving as we take the children to the bath room but I feel saving a little time is not worth it to me. Your children are older this may be different for you, but the message is the same. Have fun traveling

SusanV

Ok, it sounds like there's nothing we need to be concerned about. The boys are used to a great deal of travelling, and we'll only be doing up to 2 hours driving at one time, so that's fine (thank you for that!).

Can anyone verify if there are seatbelts at the dinette? Somehow I can't quite imagine that, but I don't know where else they'd sit and still be belted in. Seems a bit excessive, but if that's the case, I guess they'll sit at the dinette with seat belts!

TexasClodhopper

My Winnie has seatbelts in the dinette, but only on the forward facing seat. It isn't "recommended" to sit in the rear facing seat while traveling.

Also, our couch has three seatbelts.

SusanV

Ok, now that's advice I can use! (Told you I was a beginner! ;) ) I would not have known they shouldn't sit in the rear-facing seat. So we'll spread them out a bit and have them belted in. That's very useful info; thank you for that!

Any other quirks like that, that wouldn't be obvious to a complete novice?

jack g

My class C has two seatbelts in the dinette on the side facing the rear of coach, one in the chair on right inside door and normal driver/passenger belts. I also installed ankle bracelets for those nights my wife cooks spanish food.

brodavid

we traveled with our family for over 30 years and we asked them not to walk or get up while traveling, never know when someone cuts in front and child goes thu the windshield.

msj