Safe Stopping Distance

ROCK 7

It's been a while since my last post but I have a question. We have a 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 towing a 31 foot 2010 Keystone Cougar. I weighed the vehicles at the scales empty they weighed 13240 lbs. The overall weight for the truck is 16000 lbs. In you're opinion, how close should we get to the 16000 lbs to allow for safe stopping distance. Thanks

Triple E

Re: Safe Stopping Distance

Hello Kenneth and welcome back. You have asked a very hard question. There are multitude of variables. What I would do is to go out on a back road somewhere, mark a spot along the side of the road. Take your rig, at different speeds, drive to this spot and hit your brakes until you stop. This is the only way that I can think of to measure your stopping distance with any accuracy. Sorry that I could not be of anymore help. Good luck. :)
:8ball:

G

Good point ,, Steve ,, and i will add this ,, after doing it that way ,, now load it down ,, water ,, and all the stuff u will be carring on a trip ,, and do the test agian ,, :approve:
I know when i had my DP MH ,, and i towed our Durango ,, man could i feel the weight of it ,, i usally tow a CJ-5 ,, and never felt it ,, but that Durango ,, it really bogged me down on hills ,, that is kinda an example to let u know ;) :) :)

ROCK 7

RE: Safe Stopping Distance

Thanks for the input. I have one more question and that is how close should we get to the 16000 lbs of max weight and still be safe. Thanks

Triple E

H2H1

Kenneth, just remember to stay far away back away from the vehicle in front of you. And always remember you are not in a light car or truck and that you are in a loaded RV. I also would do as Steve and Rod has suggested this will give you invaluable point of view on the distant you will need.

Good luck, and happy safe traveling :laugh: :laugh:

ROCK 7

RE: Safe Stopping Distance

I would to like to say thanks to all for the help. The thought of being able to travel and see our great country is amazing. I am just trying to make sure that we are safe in our travels. Thanks again for the help.

LEN

Also learn how to set the brake controller for the trailer. You would be surprised the number towing that have no idea other than the controller is there. I have mine set on the Motor home so it will skid the tires on gravel but won't on pavement. One dial sets the amount of braking the other sets how fast the brakes come on when asked for"(hitting the tows brake) both can make a big difference.

LEN