Safety questions for a newbie

polarbearla

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to purchase a used travel trailer this summer. We have a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4WD with a V-8. It says we can pull 6,640. I know we can't max that out but I am guessing we can pull like a 22 ft Prowler that is about 5,400. Or maybe that's still cutting it too close. The dealer says you just need to go under 1,000 from what your vehicle guide says you can pull. However, dealers say alot of things. I have tried looking at all the formulas for figuring out what you can tow and it really hurts my brain!! I am not an idiot but there seem to be so many variables.

My main concern is the short bed that our truck has. Is this going to be a problem with pulling a travel trailer? What sort of safety concerns do we have with our short bed truck and what are some things we need to look for in a trailer or in hitching equiptment?

Thanks a bunch!

C Nash

Re: Safety questions for a newbie

Welcome to the board Nancy. Think you would be really cutting it close on this rv. Sway will be a problem with a short tow vehicle. Might work if you only plan on short weekend trips and really watch what you load in the trailer and sport trac. Is the 6640 for the 4 wh drive?

polarbearla

RE: Safety questions for a newbie

Actually it's a two wheel drive so our weight would be 6800. We are mostly just planning weekend trips, going short distance around the great state of California. But we will occasionally head up to Yosemite or the Sierras.

C Nash

I would still go for something in the 3500 lb range. JMO

miket

First, you are limited by the hitch rating on the Sport-Trac. Legally you cannot increase tow capacity by putting on a bigger hitch. Your Sport-Trac should have the factory tow package for towing a trailer near the max rating.

The short wheelbase of the Sport Trac can present a problem if the driver is not careful and over-corrects -- you can have the tail wagging the dog effect. Is the Prowler rated at 5400 GVW? It may not weigh that much when loaded as you would use it. I used to tow a 26 Ft 7,700 GVW rated trailer that loaded was around 6,000 lbs with a cab and a half 1/2 PU. Due to the long wheelbase, no problems, even running at 70.

You'll need a good weight distributing hitch for the trailer.

polarbearla

5400 includes the weight of the trailer AND the cargo capacity. The dry weight of the trailer is about 3200. When you are all talking about the weight of a trailer are you talking dry weight? I am just wondering because when I search online for trailers the number given is always the weight of the trailer and the capacity it will hold and so that's the number I use.

C Nash

I thought you meant the dry weight was 5400. Though that was pretty heave dry weight for a 22 footer. The only thing now is the short wheel base. Is the total length of the prowler 22ft?

msjackie

It is not the starting that has us worried, with the size of the Sport Trac, my worry would be in case of a hasty stop>

LEN

With all the info now you are below the max tow weight and should be OK. I would put on some type of sway control and make sure to have trailer brakes.

LEN