satalite question?

jetboat

heres tjhe question, we have direct tv provider, we bring the box from home as many do. the dish only has one L% B. can i use a second box off the same dish?the trailer is a 2006 sandpiper and its wired for satalite. all tv connections have both sataliter and cable connections. whats your thoughts.

dennis1949

Re: satalite question?

Yes On the lnb mine has two places to tie down coax cables. I run one to the living room and one to the bedroom If you use a splitter make sure it is one for satallites, A regular spliter will not work.

TexasClodhopper

I do the same thing, but I found that the 'switch box' that switches any of the inputs to any of the outputs would not pass the sat signal frequencies.

With a 2006 model you probably have the correct coaxial cable. It should be RG-6. (As I type 'RG-6' it doesn't look right to me now. Beware! :) )

If I were doing it now, I would hardwire new coaxial cable just from the LNB of the dish right to each of the receivers.

jetboat

RE: satalite question?

so the answere is yes i can run two tv's with two boxes off one satalite with one L&B?

TexasClodhopper

Yes, provided that LNB has two coaxial connectors on it. Each receiver will have a different amplifier.

dggreer

Haveing been installing satalite systems since they first came out I can tell you that if you only have a single LNB you can only use one receiver box. Do not try to split the line from the dish. This line has a DC voltage on it that tells the LNB which channel to tune to.

TexasClodhopper

David, you must have missed the ones like I have on my dish. There's one LNB physically, but it must actually have two built into it, because there are two separate outputs.

I use one of these at home to run to the two inputs on my DirecTV DVR. Works like a button!