satalite question?

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by jetboat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jetboat

jetboat New Member

heres tjhe question, we have direct tv provider, we bring the box from home as many do. the dish only has one L% B. can i use a second box off the same dish?the trailer is a 2006 sandpiper and its wired for satalite. all tv connections have both sataliter and cable connections. whats your thoughts.

2. dennis1949

dennis1949 Senior Member

Re: satalite question?

Yes On the lnb mine has two places to tie down coax cables. I run one to the living room and one to the bedroom If you use a splitter make sure it is one for satallites, A regular spliter will not work.

3. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

I do the same thing, but I found that the 'switch box' that switches any of the inputs to any of the outputs would not pass the sat signal frequencies.

With a 2006 model you probably have the correct coaxial cable. It should be RG-6. (As I type 'RG-6' it doesn't look right to me now. Beware! :) )

If I were doing it now, I would hardwire new coaxial cable just from the LNB of the dish right to each of the receivers.

4. jetboat

jetboat New Member

RE: satalite question?

so the answere is yes i can run two tv's with two boxes off one satalite with one L&B?

5. TexasClodhopper

Yes, provided that LNB has two coaxial connectors on it. Each receiver will have a different amplifier.

6. dggreer

dggreer New Member

Haveing been installing satalite systems since they first came out I can tell you that if you only have a single LNB you can only use one receiver box. Do not try to split the line from the dish. This line has a DC voltage on it that tells the LNB which channel to tune to.

7. TexasClodhopper

David, you must have missed the ones like I have on my dish. There's one LNB physically, but it must actually have two built into it, because there are two separate outputs.

I use one of these at home to run to the two inputs on my DirecTV DVR. Works like a button!