septic chemicals

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by swindy4x4, Jun 15, 2011.

1. swindy4x4

swindy4x4 Member

mostly ive been using my new camper in "dry camping" .. no water or sewer hookups .. bring my own water .. ok fine. black tank chemicals suggest i completely drain before changing to a different chem. product .. does it really matter? .. gee i have only 4 oz. of this left .. be a shame to waste it .. and a whole gallon of something different. ... its waste water! .. or is there some caustic combination that could damage the sensors and so on inside the tank? .. or a sales pitch like .. use ours and only ours or else! :eek: :eek: ..... thanks gang!

2. swindy4x4

swindy4x4 Member

Re: septic chemicals

and to add to that .. what product do you veteran rv'ers perfer? .. thanks!

3. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

I have always used the old standby...Aqua-Kem. Never had any issues with clogged tanks or odors.

4. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member

A great deal depends upon how fast you fill the tank and the amount of water used each time you flush. The very best thing to put into a black tank is simply generous amounts of water. If you always use a septic friendly TP and plenty of water, you really don't need any chemicals at all, so long as the tank lasts for several days before you dump. Even with chemicals, skimping on water is flirting with disaster!

We have been fulltime for 11 years and the past 8 years have not used any kind of chemical. If I were to use one, I would then choose one of the bacterial products that are friendly to septic systems. Both alcohol and formaldehyde based products kill the helpful bacteria.

5. airspeed

airspeed New Member

x2.....We never use chemicals.

6. Clay L

Clay L Senior Member

No chemicals, just plenty of water.

7. swindy4x4

swindy4x4 Member

wow! just water huh.. cool ... thank you very much :) :)

8. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

I agree with the others, just use plenty of water, it may cause you to drain it more offen, but well worth it. If your has a black tank flush connection go ahead and do that each and every time you drain the black tank. This maintain the tank from having products stick to the inside of the tank. good luck and happy traveling.

9. swindy4x4

swindy4x4 Member

oh and thank you Steve H... for recommending Auqa-kem ... (i like it too) it does smell nice and still may use a a little if there's an issue of "odor" ... i live in northwest PA and we dont get a whole lot of chances to go camping (snow) .. but we've been out on 4 short trips and no complaints so far this season! except for one .. i can't go by myself this weekend .. "honey-do list" is gettin too long! :angry: :angry: supposed to be beautiful too!