serpentine belt squeaking at times

osrocket

i have a ford chassis with 10000 miles, belt still looks new but squeaks at times, has anybody tried some of the dressings and been successfull, i will change it but that looks like a major pain to do by yourself, any recommendations on this would be great, john

H2H1

Re: serpentine belt squeaking at times

Hi John, I have used belt dressing in the past, and once I used a bar of soap to quite it down. But you may be looking at bigger problem if it not look at by a mechanic. You never said how old your unit is but they can just like your tires dry rot when not in use. Happy RVing

osrocket

2004 is the year, i forgot, i am marking the routing down, couldnt find anything on the chassis, and will pull it off and inspect idler bearings and the tensioner bearings, thanks jb

it just looks like you need to stand on your head to get to it, jb

G

the dressing is short ,, cure ,, but usally what is causing the noise ,, is the tensioner ,,, it get weak ,, and will cause the belt to slip just alittle ,, also the belt ,, even though it looks good ,,, my really not be ,,, they are like tires ,, when they sit ,, and are being used ,, the fall apart ,, internally ,, if u got the v10 engine ,, it's a challenge ,, but doable ,,, now the 460 eng ,, that is a challenge ,, they have 2 serp belts on them ,,, :eek: :)

H2H1

John I would take it to Rod and let him do it. why get dirty when he will do it for free, JK John. Rod does know his stuff when it comes to MH.

osrocket

i got it on this morning, with some long homemade tools, i couldnt even get close to reaching half of the areas, pulley brgs feel good and tensioner appears to be pretty stout, it is nice and quiet now, only took an hour, i called the fleetwood place and he said 180.00 to do it......(not),,,, thanks jb