sewer smell

biker

hey im new to this rv and loving it, we just got back from our second long weekend and everything went great, when we got home after about a 4 hour ride we went to clean out the rv and noticed a sewer smell, dumped at the campground and everything was clean, wash out and put chemicals in tank and added about 10 gallons of water for the ride home, any suggestions would be great,,,, ps havent had this problem the first trip. first time this happened, thanks

LEN

Re: sewer smell

Could be gray water smell. IN my MH I have to run the washer/dryer every once in a while or the trap dries out and going down the road I get a sewer smell. Could also come from the shower or any sink. Maybe drop a little fresh water in the gray as you leave the CG with a little dawn or deodorant.

LEN

Triple E

Are you sure it is coming from your tanks. We had a bad smell one time so we pulled over and empty both tanks. Started going again and the smell came back. The wife started looking around and found the oven was on low. Propane. Shut the oven off and no more smell. Needless to say we installed and replaced the old propane sensor. Now we have two. One low and one high. Propane is heavier than air and will fall but if you are moving the propane can float before falling. One other time after a trip, we had a another smell. Flushed and cleaned the tanks again. This time I left a small package of hamburger in the fridge. Not saying any of this could be your smell but make sure you don't focus just on the tanks. ;)

biker

RE: sewer smell

thank you for the reply guys, i put water in the gray tanks and i think the smell is gone, dont know what i did wrong but maybe just maybe we will be ok, this trailer has sat for two years and i thought the gaskets on the bathroom drain might be gone

C Nash

Neal sometimes in traveling the water will drain out of the drain traps and allow the odor to come into the rv. The gray can really smell if not kept clean. Water water water is the best cleaner.

biker

RE: sewer smell

so how do i keep this from happening again, i flush black tank, drain gray tanks, put about 5 to 10 gallons in each before we travel