shift linkage issues....anyone

hailo

i am having major issues, it does not want to go into drive. it basically gets stuck at neutral. you can get in drive but it definitetly takes some work. it didnt do this before we did the motor change. has this ever happened to anyone. are there any tips to fixing this

dbarton291

Re: shift linkage issues....anyone

What transmission does it have? That will determine what kind of linkage you most likely have.

hailo

RE: shift linkage issues....anyone

updates: when i got back to my dads shop after messn with the fuel for a wile we moved on to the linkage. i crawled underneath the coach an disconected it from the tranny. i was half way expectong mot to move it and it worked perfectly. my dad was in the seat and started messn with the shift lever a little bit more. still not being able to get into drive he just kept movn it bak and forth the somthing lined up(or broke not sure) now it goes into drive perfectly should i diconect the column and check inside there or leave well enough alone?
all i know is im glad its not the trans becouse i have receipts of that thing just getting serviced

dbarton291

hailo - 8/2/2010 2:17 PM

updates: when i got back to my dads shop after messn with the fuel for a wile we moved on to the linkage. i crawled underneath the coach an disconected it from the tranny. i was half way expectong mot to move it and it worked perfectly. my dad was in the seat and started messn with the shift lever a little bit more. still not being able to get into drive he just kept movn it bak and forth the somthing lined up(or broke not sure) now it goes into drive perfectly should i diconect the column and check inside there or leave well enough alone?
all i know is im glad its not the trans becouse i have receipts of that thing just getting serviced

Well that depends. Are you willing to bet your safety, the safety of your passengers, as well as others around you on the road on a repair done by messing with the shift lever moving it back and forth until something lined up or broke not sure?

hailo

i had my mechanic inspect it and i'm confident all is well i would not jeapordize anyones safety especially that of my family so i think were good

dbarton291

Whew. Good. I didn't mean to be a poop. but a shift linkage is nothing to take a chance on. If it comes loose in the wrong conditions, the results are not good. An out of adjustment shift linkage can also fail a transmission, and those aren't cheap!

hailo

boy was i wrong, finally took her on its maiden voyage she pulled perfectly. drove the freewayfor 40 miles to work went to park and the same thing. it wont go into drive w/o some effort. does any one have or no of a steering column breakdown. so i can see what its suppose to look like so i can figure out whats going on.

hailo

has anyone heard of the "auto parking break actuator switch"? do all motor homes have that? could this be the issue?

dbarton291

What kind of transmission is it? That will determine the type of linkage. If in doubt, read the name tag on the transmission.