Shopping for 5th Wheel and Truck.

ticktock

We have not sold the house yet, but it is almost empty! There is no time like the present and we are ready to go. We have not purchased our truck or 5th wheel yet, but the shopping has began. We are not new to the road, but we will be new to owning our rig. Home is where the heart is and living in a covered wagon part of the year sounds great to me. Well in today's market we will not be forced to actually live in a covered wagon, but we do not need much space. The plan is to sell here in Colorado, buy a 5th wheel and truck, then buy a small place back east. South Carolina is our first choice at the time. So, to go almost full timing is the main plan.

I have found so much information on this web site that I come back at least once a week to read more. I feel like I have met new people and faced new problems I never dreamed of. Our main issue at the time is finding smaller 5th wheels on the market. I have checked out the scamp and feel that it not quite enough room for us. We do not need much more room and plan on traveling around a lot. My wife will do most of the driving and I would like it to be easy for her. Who builds smaller 5th wheels?

We live near Grand Junction Colorado and do not have many choices of where to go and browse at 5th wheels. I have shopped online and still do it everyday. The smallest 5th wheel in town is 25 feet long. I was really hoping for 20-22 feet. I have not made up my mind on anything yet. If you have any suggestions it will be greatly appriciated. I do not want to buy brand new. At the same time I do not want to buy so old that I have hidden issues. I was thinking if the unit was lightly used, a few years old would be ok. Thanks to all of your posts and information that will help in the years to come.

C Nash

Re: Shopping for 5th Wheel and Truck.

Charles, I would ck into the SunnyBrook, Artic Fox and Nash line of 5th wheels. Why do you want such a small one to do some fulltiming in? Will you be limited because of tow vehicle or just places you plan on camping. Extended time in the rvs and it can get small. How many people will there be? I am not a fan of selling everthing. Never know what the future holds and you may have to come back.

ticktock

I do see that Sunnybrook is mentioned a lot at this site. I would like to camp in a lot of places and do not want to start out with a large 5th wheel. I just think smaller would be easier to handle and the occupants will be just me and my wife. I will have left over money to buy a new home back east when I sell here in Colorado so I am not actually giving up everything. Our children would also like to relocate back east in the next two years, we are just getting a jump on them. We live in a mountain area and we are tired of 4-6 foot of snow three months out of the year. I am 61 and my wife just turned 50 so now is the time to hit the road if we are ever going to do it. I do not think we will sit in the 5th wheel too much so small will be fine for us. We am not new to 5th wheeling or the whole outdoor life style, as a matter of fact the whole family is down at Rocky Point in Mexico right now. We just took a trip back east and stayed mostly in out tent for three weeks while looking at property. Thank you so much I will start researching the brands you have suggested online right now.
:cool:

C Nash

Charles, looks like you have it planed out. Just sit in the rv you decide on and see if its confortable. Stand in the shower and sit on the potty (do not use) :laugh: Lay on the bed and have the wife ck the kitchen area good. Ck storage. Remember there may be rainy days that force you inside. We have a 32 ft MH with 2 slides and it has served us well. You do not have to have a huge rv to be confortable in. I have seen fulltimers in tents and they were happy.

Triple E

Just be-sure your tow vehicle is MORE then enough to pull your 5th. wheel. So many people by a tow vehicle that is just a little to small or just about right, then they don't understand why the truck wears out so fast.

If a vehicle or trailer salesman tells you, aah, no problem, it will handle it. RUN.

Also Mr. Nash makes a very good point. Under 25 feet is awfully cramped. Especially when the weather is bad. ;)

ticktock

Thanks for the advise. I have done a small amount of research and do not want a truck that can just handle my load. I do not know what my load is yet but I am listening to you experts.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Charles,
Come on over to VA. We had a Heartland ElkRidge Express delivered yesterday. An E24....measures about 27 feet and weighs under 7,000lb. Go to my website to see pics and the price. I think you will be surprised.

ticktock

:cool: I am looking at every link and every trailor at your web site. Great prices and I may just come on down. I really need to buy a truck first. I was pretty sure I was buying a 3/4 ton. Not sure anything else, still shopping. Thank you so much! :)

Triple E

I would double guarantee you that if I was buying a new fifth wheel, I would make the trip to VA. Ken has a reputation, good, which comes awfully hard these days. No doubt, I would make the trip and enjoy the heck out of myself on the way home. ;)

armandjones82

RE: Shopping for 5th Wheel and Truck.

I think in considering the wheel, you must be able to really have some good branded parts. Brands like Allied Wheel and the others would be much better to use in order to really have a good wheel for your vehicle. Also, for considering other options, you can resort more on other stuffs rather than dealing with the used one. I hope you may find that desired part/s and vehicle in the future.

krsmitty

RE: Shopping for 5th Wheel and Truck.

I have not seen any comments as for the truck...so will add my 2 cents. If you are going 3/4 get a diesel! I went from a gas to a diesel back in 2007 and it was the best move I made. Yes, diesel fuel is more expensive, but the power/torque/mpg is well worth it.