Shore power question

rddog8691

When I parked and winterized my rv last november i left it plugged in for a month or two, then unplugged it and didnt plug it back in until recently. When i plugged it back in i am not getting any power to the coach. Does anyone have any ideas of where i should start checking to find the problem, ie: fuses, switches. Any help would be great.

Triple E

Re: Shore power question

Have you checked the breaker in the panel? Do you have power at the plug-in? This has happen to me. The breaker was the last thing I checked when it should have been the first. Good Luck.

rjf7g

Have you checked your circuit breakers inside your camper? Are you plugging in to an outlet you know has power? Also, I just has a 30A to 15A adapter go bad on me. Try another one of those as well.

G

RE: Shore power question

did u throw the battery disconnect ,, maybe by accident ,,, but i would ck u'r plug in at the house ,, and see if it has power first ,,, then go to the rv ,, and let us know back :approve: :)

vanole

rddog8691,

Add to what the others have said if you have and EMS or some sort of surge proection it may be working as advertised. You maybe are getting bad power to the pole you are plugged into even though it shows you have readily available power.

Very Respctfully,
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

rddog8691

Ok guys replaced the 30 amp to 15 amp plug, checked fuses, also when plugged in i have power to the tv up front, microwave but no power anywhere else. I cant figure it out.Man ,i am so satified with my rv even though it is 12 years old but when stuff like this happens i get frustrated. :(

*scooter*

Just a thought....Perhaps a plug (GFIC) has tripped. It happend to me once and I lost some hair trying to figure out the problem..

ARCHER

What kind of unit? If older, is aux battery switch on (green light on)? Circuit breaker in house circuit? GFCI, maybe. Aux batteries good?

vanole

Now that you have some power (tv most likely away from any H2O connection, Microwave off inverter/converter) I would look at the GFI seeing how you don't have or didn't mention fridge. Do any of the outlets work in the kitchen area or outside of the coach? To reset GFI look around bathroom sink. Outlets near kitchen sink usually run off same GFI circuit.

V/R
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly navy

rddog8691

how would i tell if the GFI is bad, there is one near the kitchen sink, but it is the only one i can see, the fridge is also not working. I have not plugged anything in to the outlets i will try that next. Also the house batteries are dead, but i thought with the rv plugged in the interior lights should work off of shore power, am i wrong.

vanole

rddog8691,

On both M/H's I have owned (Monaco's) the outlet near the kitchen sink was a GFI without a reset button. Near the bathroom sink the outlet there had the reset button. When the GFI worked a advertised you had to push that button in to reset.

I had a loose wire on the outlet in the kitchen above the sink on my 00 Diplomat. This outlet was a GFI and it also happenned to be the outlet I plugged my AC meter into. Looked at the meter it was in the red and I was envisioning me burning up A/C cards etc. EMS did nothing so I moved the meter to another outlet all was fine. Stupid me!!! About 5 minutes later fridge started alarming "No AC" scratched my hind end ran around looking for fuse problems. Nothing, then looked at the microscopic print on out faceplate which read "GFI protected outlet"

Shut down power to the coach and unplugged from the pole. Removed outlet from wall. BE CAREFULL here attached to the end of the screws (at least on my unit) are pawls which allow you to snug the outlet up tight to the wall. If screw comes at of the pawl it will drop down into the wall. If you are lucky the insulation will stop it so you can retrieve it. Was able to tighten the connection and problem went away.

Sorry for being long winded.

V/R
Jeff
GO NAVY
Fly Navy

rddog8691

Ok i tried the outlets on shore power and all are working. Do the lights,fridge water pump, hot water heater and heater all run off the batteries even when i am plugged into shore power, if so i think my batteries are bad.

G

yep ,, sorry :disapprove: the lights ,, water pump ,, and refer DO run off the batts,, when u are plugged in ,, the shore power ,, only recharges the batts ,, and runs the 120 volt stuff ,, but i think u'r on the right track ,,, unhook the batts ,, while plugged in,,, and see if u get any power from just the cable ends ,,, that will tell u the converter is working ,,, and also ,, ck the water in the batts ,, if u can ,,, if u don't see any ,the bats are fried ,,, but if u have the sealed type ,,, have them load tested ,,,, but i feel now with this info ,, u got bad batteries ,,, sorry :disapprove: :disapprove:

rddog8691

OK thanks for the reply on this i am actually kind of glad it is only the batteries,although i shouldnt get ahead of myself and make sure that the inverter is putting out power. :approve:

G

not to be correcting u ,, but converter ,,, not inverter ,, they are 2 different pieces of electronics ,,, but please let us know back on u'r findings :approve: :approve: :)