Short pushers

Snowy

I'm a nwebee to site and RVing. We are looking for our first unit. Not sure if we should go Gas vs Diesel. My question to the forum is the following.

Is it true that the short pushers tent to wander more than the longer units due to engine weight at back?
I did a short test ride in a Bounder with air suspension and brakes, loved the ride, far less body sway than the gas MH but is it worth the extra $$$$$$.
Could I rather modify gas rig with Banks or other engine upgrade and suspension upgrade and get a better ride?

Snowy

H2H1

Re: Short pushers

HEY SNOWY Welcome to the forum. I have a 36' Southwind made by FLEETWOOD, and it has a 8.1 Chevy work horse engine with a Allison tranny. most RV ers will tell you it not good to let a diesel set up for a period on time, so not having one I can't attest to that statement. My gas does just as well as the diesel IMHP of course. I did have the BANKS EXHAUST system installed with a super chip. I do get better gas mileage than before. I truly believe you will get body sway on any MH as due to the height of the coach. best of luck on what ever you buy and happy RVing

Snowy

Thanks for the reply H2H1, but what I have been told at one dealership is that, due to the weght of the engine at the back, a short RV will have light steering. ie front will feel light and move around in the wind, follow or roll in the groove tracks, or be blown aside by the big rigs. Your RV has the engine up front, this helps in keeping you stable. The salesman said that short front engine give a better ride than short rear engine. Am I blowing in the wind?????

DL Rupper

Does the salesman that wants to sell you the gas engine RV, also sell diesel pushers? He may have an agenda. Check out a front engined diesel motorhome.

Snowy

He could sell me anything I wanted, from tow behind to 45' $$$$$$$$$$. He listened to my needs then came back with his recommendations and advice. We spent quite a while talking and he new I was not buying at that time, and did not even live near his state. I was on a coast to coast to coast ride with HOG's and stopped at the dealer in MT. I would seriously think of going back to them as I was not pressured at all into any type of commitment.

LEN

Short Pusher-- Dang though we were Talking east LA--
Short Pusher like 30' Don't know why they would wonder unless Grandma Mom dad and the 7 kids are on the rear bed watchin vids while Grandpa is pushin the rig down the road. The balance and all should be engineered well and they have the truck frame. Good dealer or not think there's smoke in the air. I do feel the older gassers are not as steady as the diesels.
OH welcome.

LEN

par

RE: Short pushers

I have a short pusher (32ft Windsor), as far as I'm concerned it handles great. Sure strong sidewinds do have an effect on it but I would think unless your driving an actual bus that would be the case. It cruises nice and true down the road and wander isn't a problem. Most of the time I pull a car hauler with a fairly heavy vehicle on it. Don't know if that would change the handle or not. I'm sure the next one will be a bit bigger but I doubt that I would ever go too big.