Should I buy?

tbarger86

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1994 Holiday Rambler Free Spirit. It is a fifth wheel. It is in very nice shape and she only wants $1500.00. It does need a water heater, A/C, and canopy thing. Do you think this is a good buy?

H2H1

Re: Should I buy?

get the cost of a new hot water heater, air condition, and a new awning plus the cost to install and see just how much you will have invested. You might be surprise how much you have in it, vs. buying one that is ready to go camping in. but that JMHO :cool: :cool:

akjimny

Add in the costs for new batteries and new tires. Make sure you check the trailer for water damage, especially the roof. Check all the caulking in all the joints. If any is missing/cracked, you probably have water intrusion and hidden damage behind the wall panels. Make sure the floor is not spongy or soft in any areas. Check the undercarriage for rust and broken parts. The list could go on a lot more. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Cheap is worth what you pay for it. Voice of experience here. :( :(
Tamara, you didn't list a location. If you live anywhere in the Midwest, there will be a lot of RV's, cars and trucks in that area for sale that were submerged in the spring floods. I don't mean to sound discouraging - just take your take and have the trailer checked over by a competent RV mechanic.
Oh, and by the way, welcome to the best RV forum on the net. :) :)

G

well IMO the cost of the awning and the a/c will pretty much over run the purchasing price ,, that is with labor of course and the size of the awning ,, and that is not figuring in the cost on the w/h ,, but if u like it ,, and have the money to spend or u can do it u'r self ,, i would say go for it ,, but there agian JMO :) :approve:
but as others have said ,, besure to ck for water damage ,, and all the rest ,, if there is any sighns of water damage ,, run fast and run far ,, that will be a money pit ,, and u won't have time to enjoy it ,, IMO ;)

tbarger86

Thank you guys for your help. I will def check for water damage and such. Also on prices. I won't have a lot $$$ in labor because of family, but I will def check into material prices. Thank you for the welcome and great tips!!!!! :laugh:

Blueeyes

The experianced guys on this site will probably laugh at me for these questions, but here goes. I am planning to buy a new-to-me tt in the next year so I would like to check it out carefully before I buy. As stated above, one should check walls & floors for water damage but how exactly do you do this? Do you take an ice pick or wire or what to check for soft spots?
Also, if you aren't buying from a dealer, how do you find a tt mechanic? Are they listed on the web or yellow pages? I live in a small town so I'm not sure there are any in the area.

C Nash

Deb, I will generally use my knife that I always have in my pocket to probe the outer edge of carpet areas. Ice pick is best or any sharp pointed tool. Have to be careful on linolum floors. Probe under cabints. I do not punch holes anywhere it will damage such as the walls. Push on outer walls to see if it gives. Look down the sides at a angle to see if there are bulges. Pay close attention around the comode and shower. Soft spots can be felt. Even a soft spot no bigger than a golf ball can be a major problem. I doubt that you will find a tech listed in a small town. Good luck

akjimny

Deb - Check my post above about the tires and batteries. Batteries are good for 3 to 4 years IF they are kept in use, properly maintained, and kept on a good float charger. Tires are good for 4 to 6 years, depending on where in the states they are. More sunshine equals more deterioration and dry rot. Eyeball the sidewalls for weather checking and cracks. Check the tread area, especially if the tt was parked on grass or dirt. Hope this helps some.

Kirk

Also look for stains on the ceiling, especially near vents and roof openings. Look for them under and around all widows. For the floor, walk around and bounce a bit all around the floor space. Probe especially below the windows where leaks are common. Check extra closely where there are slides.

On the outside, sight down the sides of the RV to look for what seems to be bubbles that indicate de-lamination which often is caused by leaks. And don't forget to study the roof as well for bad spots, for soft spots, and for cracked or missing caulk.