Sitting on the roof?

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by Kevinkinfla, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Kevinkinfla

Kevinkinfla Junior Member

I have a 2010 Coachmen Catalina 27BH travel trailer and just booked a weekend trip to the Daytona 500. Does anyone know if it is safe to sit or stand on the roof? Thanks for any input
  2. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

Kevin do you know how your Catalina is built? The roof trusses can be wood or medal. I would think it would support one or 2 people but no more and they should not be jumping up and down on it . That just my opinion, other may have something else to say.
  3. akjimny

akjimny Senior Member

Hi Kevin and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. In my travel trailer days, I had a 21 ft Prowler and if you didn't keep your feet exactly where the roof trusses were, the roof bent quite badly. Your trailer may be more sturdy than mine was, but JMO - I wouldn't go up there. Too much chance of doing some REALLY expensive damage.:):)
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

i got ask this ,, does it have ladder to the roof ,, and does it have like a luggage type rack around the rear area ??? and is it a toy hauler ??? if the last 2 apply then u have a roof that was meant to be walked on ,, as long as u stay in the area of the luggage rack ,, on almost all toy haulers they reinforce the roof area near the ladder ,, just for that reason ,, they know u are gonna be up there ,, but agian JMO :)
  5. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

good points Rod
  6. Kevinkinfla

Kevinkinfla Junior Member

First off thanks for the responses !! I'm new to this forum but I'm already finding it's helpful. It's a basic travel trailer, no toy hauler. No ladder andno luggage area. I'm trying to find info on Coachman's website but no luck. I have an email in to them as well. I guess to be on the safe side I will stay off the roof....
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

yes ,, good idea ,, if it has no ladder ,, then the roof is prolly not strong enough to have anyone on there ,, but if u have to go on the roof for say repairs and such ,, i would use some 2x6's or 2x8's long enough to go to the sides of the walls ,, and walk on them ,, i have doen this many of times on rv's that did not have a ladder ,, and ones that i knew had some water damage to the roof area ,, btw welcome to the forums :)
  8. Emma Brian

Emma Brian New Member

Don't take any risk, stay in your trailer and enjoye the trip safely.