Slide out roof leak

armyairforce

I purchased a 1999 Wind Bird Class A with a slide out. I have been working on it off and on for over a year making repairs and upgrading the inside stuff. I am now working on the slide out. I took the top most part apart a couple of days ago and found rotten wood in the ceiling. I will be replacing it but I have a question about the roof part of it. It appears that one of the previous owners tried to fix the leak in the roof but was unsuccessful. They always tried to band aide the problem rather than really fix it. My question is the roof. The roof now has sheets of plexiglas on it. It was caulked into place and I'm not sure it it was manufactured that way or was just a try to fix the leak. If it is the way it was manufactured I will attempt to replace the plexiglas and seal it properly. If not, I want to remove it and replace the neoprene roof for which I think it was the way it was manufactured. Can anyone help to let me know how the roof is supposed to be put together?

Kirk

Re: Slide out roof leak

I have seen a lot of slides, I have not seen one that had Plexiglas on the roof. In fact, I don't think that the product is used anywhere in an RV. Most of them have a laminated roof panel with the outer layer being made of one of several water proof materials. I suggest that you visit an RV dealer and take a look at the roof of the slides to see just what they are like.