Slide?

Pancanbob

Slide? :question:
I newly retired and looking into getting an RVing
From what I see, yo’ll (for you good old boys), know what your talking about.
So what about slides, I know they really make the Rv’s bigger, but aren’t they a source of problems.
I hope to be RV most of the time, boon docking, and doing a lot of driving, try to make up for lost time.
My main concern is water leaks, bad seals letting wind and dirt in while driving.
I’ve also read that they weaken the structural integrity of the RV
Any thoughts
:question: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Re: Slide?

Howdy, Bob! Welcome to the forum. (BTW, us good ole boys say "Ya'll" quite a bit! :clown: )

As far as structural integrity of the RV, I think there isn't an RV manufacturer that would do anything but the best engineering possible in adding slides to their RV. ( :clown: ) I haven't heard it to be a problem, but perhaps when the first guys did it, they just got excited about being the first and cut some corners. That's generally how rumors get started, too. We're many long years from that time, though.

If your slide gaskets are kept in good shape, there isn't a problem with slides. They're not much different than doors on an RV as far as sealing goes.

I don't know if you can still buy a new RV without slides, but you can probably easily find a used one that wasn't built with slides. If you come across a used one with slides, it is really important to check out those gaskets as well as many other items.

Happy Camping, Ya'll ! :clown:

Pancanbob

RE: Slide?

Hi, Clodhopper
Thanks for the reply.
I got the information about structural integrity, from the RV.org.
Kirk had mention in one of his replays to another Nuwbie.
They had several things to say about different Classes of Motor Homes, some good and some not so good. They also some pictures of a class “A”, “Motor home Accident” at http://www.rv.org/p17809.htm (it takes time to down load). The pictures are very sobering. They don’t say how fast he was going, and that would make a big difference. Nothing can stand up to a high-speed impact, but it did get my attention.

I firm believe in “KISS” “Keep It Simple Stupid.”
That’s why I’m asking about slides.

I’m looking to buying a “Previously owned” MH with out and “Slides”.
I think they will cause trouble down the road then they are worth.
How is the parts situation on older MH’s?

I guess it is like for older cars, all depends on age, and how popular they were.
Thanks for you time

2old2sit

I owned two older motorhomes that I bought used. Most components in any RV are third party, such as Norcold(refrigerator), Onan(generator), Suburban(furnace), etc. The chassis is usually a Ford, Dodge or GM(although not always). Finding parts of these are not that difficult.

I tried to find a door for a 10 year old Winnebago and finally had to take it apart and replace all the wood myself. The body parts are the things you will have a problem finding.

Want to buy a 1996 30' Winnebago Warrior with a nice, solid door?

Kirk

I really can't agree with Tex, completely. While we do not have any slides on the RV that we have lived in for the past nine years, but we have observed a lot of RVs with slides and on some brands a problem with them is quite rare, while others are frequent problems. Slides which leak are a fairly common subject and if such leaks are not detected and solved quickly, that can lead to soft floors from de-laminating wood products.

Slide mechanisms seldom give problems today, but it does happen and has been a serious problem for some makes. I have heard of only a few structural problems from slides and that seems to be a pretty rare problem. Over the years that slides have improved, just as most products do with time. There are manufacturers that have few if any slide related problems. But there are also some which do have frequent problems so related.

Like most things in life, if you buy from a quality manufacturer who stands behind his products, you will probably have few, if any problems from a slide. One of the cheapest made, poor quality RVs, usually among the lowest priced as well, you may very well have slide problems as well as a host of other such issues. Like most major purchases, you can best protect yourself by taking the time to first learn about the products and how to judge quality. The best place to start is by joining the RV Consumer Group.... www.rv.org

Pancanbob

Clodhopper & Kirk
Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

I will be looking in to renting before I buy anything, but I’m leaning towards one without slides, that much less that can (and will go) wrong
DL Rupper says “Drill Baby Drill”
Well I will say KISS Baby KISS, “Keep it simple stupid” :laugh: :laugh:

Kirk, I’ve been reading your home page, it also has a lot of good information & insight on Rving

Thank you for making it available……to us “want a be’s

You must be very proud of you son.
I have two sons, but they did not enter the service.

Again Thanks
Bob
:) :shy:

rjf7g

There are a lot of options for buying a new RV - class C, B, or A without any slides. My park trailer has two slides - Kenneth had to do a repair to one of them before he installed it on my lot. We open the slides late March and don't close them until late October/early November. I get up on the roof once a month or so (more often if we've had a lot of wind and/or rain) to sweep off the roof (including the slides) and check everything out. So far, no problems! We have not found any water, bugs, or gunk coming in around the slides.

We don't have any slides in our class C and are fine with it as it is just two of us camping and traffic jams in the walkway are not a problem.

As you will be boon docking, you may want to consider no slide. You'll at least save the battery from having to open and close a slide.

Pancanbob

Hi, Becky
I will probable being buying a “Previously own” as the sells people like to say now. To me it is still just “A Used one” without slides. For two reasons, first even thro I’m a machinist by trade, and can fix or “Mickey Mouse” most things, it’s just I don’t want to spend my time fixing something I did not need. Second is the depreciation on a new one is just too much to lose, for me anyway.
I will rent a both types before I buy. I worked for the Panama Canal for the last 33 years, and now back in San Francisco taking care on my mother, she got cancer, when thing are over here is when I will be seriously starting looking for an RV. I figure that…… I will buy a “four on the floor” toad first, then I can use it to drive around till I find a good deal on a used RV, I hope anyway.
Thanks for your input
Bob