Small Shock

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by ARCHER, May 8, 2006.

  1. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Hey, I was messing around today with the RV cover (some patch work) and when I touched the MH, I received a little shock. My engine battery is connected but my two house batteries are off (switch on dash turned off). What might have caused the shock (it happened twice)? Should I be concerned about this? :dead: :) ;)
     
  2. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Small Shock

    Archer, Did you have the MH hooked to shore power? If so ,YES I would be concerned.
     
  3. shadow24

    shadow24 New Member

    Small Shock

    Archer, Its probably static from the cover. They usually have some poly material in them. When you remove those things or remove some of it, they create a lot of static and when you touch the motorhome you become the path for the static electricity to get loose.
     
  4. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Small Shock

    Chelse, nope, not hooked up to anything. Shadow's answer is probably the reason. Dumb me, didn't even think of static electricity. Cover kind of blows in the wind so it is logical that it would cause this. Gotta put in the new running light today to try and stop old leak. Next is the furnace removal to see if I can get it cleaned/checked/fixed before next winter. Tks guys, appreciate you keeping me brain working..... :approve: :dead: :) ;)
     
  5. TexasClodhopper

    TexasClodhopper Senior Member

    Small Shock

    You wouldn't get a shock from your house batteries, but you might if you have an inverter running for simulated "shore power" and there is something wrong.
     
  6. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Small Shock

    What is simulated "shore power"? Nothing is plugged in from any external power source. :dead:
     
  7. TexasClodhopper

    TexasClodhopper Senior Member

    Small Shock

    Some RV's have an inverter that takes the house battery and makes 110 AC. Maybe for a TV or something.
     
  8. ARCHER

    ARCHER Senior Member

    Small Shock

    I've got a converter. 110 to 12 volt to run lights inside, power to fridge, power to ignitions for furnace and hot water tank. tks for the info
     
  9. C Nash

    C Nash Senior Member

    Small Shock

    Don't worry Archer. Shadow24 nailed it. Static electricity like what you get when you slide across your seats. But, if you have a inverter running like TexasClodhopper said that opens up another possibility
     

Share This Page