Solenoid for Hot Water LP

ARCHER

I have an Atwood hot water tank. The solenoid or regulator just before the tube to burner is leaking after shutoff. It's the unit that has the ECO/TERM wires connected to it to either start or stop the gas flow. It seems to be leaking at the exit end to the tube. Can this unit be fixed with a rebuild kit or does it have to be replaced? Any suggestions??

Gary B

Hi Archer, I don't think you can get a repair kit, seems the makers of LP products don't like us average Joes fixing things like that. You can get a complete replacement gas valve, you found the pesky thing is leaking huh. A new gas valve should be about $80.00, good luck. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

ARCHER

Gary,
Yup, I think it is leaking a little bit. I fixed the main leak (the valve for the leak detector in Dec, but now I have a faint smell (where I thought it was the afterburn smell) and I get some bubbles out of the main little hole that releases the LP to the tube for igniting, so I believe the solenoid is not shutting off the LP totally. After I get home this spring I am going to replace the hot water tank with a electric/LP combo and try to use just electric in the future. This LP thing is driving me nuts. I think I'll go ahead and replace the main regulator beside the main LP tank also. I've heard they only have a 10 year life expectancy and it is a 1989.
Hope all is well at your end. We had a short cold spell the last couple of days. Would not be bad if the wind would not blow. Suppose to be nice starting again today.
We will be heading home in about 5 weeks.
Later,
Mike