Starting out

Bounder Boy

Picking up the MH this Saturday. How about suggestions on what to do when getting started?
Like, should the house batteries be tuned off at certain times? What should I do and not do when I get the the site (semi-permanent).? I will be on shore power. 30 amp. What do I need for sure?

One question especially, is it possible/feasible to connect a outside propane tank (100#) to the unit?

I would guess I should treat the black and grey tanks like I did my TT. Let them fill on the unit first and then dump them, black first and then grey. I do have a 350 gl. holding tank on my site.

Go for it guys, I need all the suggestions I can get.

akjimny

Re: Starting out

John, when I'm plugged in to shore power it has always been my practice to leave my coach batteries turned on. My power converter has a float function that tops up the batteries charge and then drops back to a maintenance mode. Batteries left unused will sulfate up and lose their ability to take a full charge.
I know there are adapters out there to hook up a 20 lb propane tank up to your coach, so I don't see why any competent propane supplier couldn't provide the same kind of adapter for a 100 lb tank.
You're on the right track with the holding tanks. Wait until they are 3/4 full, then dump black first then gray to flush out the hose.

frederick

Hi
Jim, when you use the term "coach batteries turned on" I'm not sure how that is done.
Don't know if my converter on my 2000 Flair has that float function.
Thank You
Fred Rubio from Pasco, Wa. US Army Aviation. :)

akjimny

Fred, I have a switch (big, red, removable key-type) near the door to the motor home. Turning the switch off totally disconnects the coach batteries from everything else in the coach. I think it's a safety thing if something should go wrong with the batteries or charging system. But unless there's an emergency (that hasn't come up yet, thank goodness) I leave them turned on.

try2findus

I would strongly suggest a surge protector as a necessity. Though you would probably not experience a problem at most campgrounds, it only takes one bad surge to "rock your world" and I don't mean in a good way. Ours cost close to $100 bucks but we feel a bit more protected with that little protector.

Just plug that little protector to your power cord before you plug in to the campground power.

Safe travels and Happy camping!

akjimny

Amen to that, Jeanie. I have burnt one surge protector already, with no damage to the motorhome (Thank Goodness). That was the $300.00 fancy one. I got a $120.00 replacement without all the bells and whistles that (so far) has worked out fine.

I just have to remember -
1. Turn off the circuit breaker at the power pole.
2. Plug in the surge protector.
3. Turn on the circuit breaker.
4. Verify the green lights are lit.
5. Turn off the circuit breaker.
6. Plug the shore power cable into the surge protector.
7. And, finally, turn the circuit breaker back on.

I know this sounds like a lot to do, but it keeps from arcing and burning the prongs on the surge protector and shore power cord.