Step issues

Kerry Dalton

Hello all! I just brought home my first 5th wheel this past Wednesday. Since I parked it in my driveway I have noticed a major issue... When you open the door to go into the trailer, there is a step up into the living area. Coming in is not necessarily the problem but there is nothing covering that hole. Yesterday my friend came by to check out the new diggs because she was so excited for me. She climbed in and the wind caught the door and blew it open. She took a step to reach for the door and because there is that step down in front of the door (that she obviously did not see), she fell out of the camper. I spent all last night at the hospital with her. She did not remember anything from the past 2 weeks because of a concussion, she has a broken arm, and she had to get 5 stitches in her lip. My husband and I are absolutely horrified that this happened (especially in our own yard) and could only imagine how horrible it would have been had we been camping on our normal super sites with concrete pads. These inside the door steps are a serious hazard. My question here is, is there any way to add something like a box step there that would be flush with the rest of the floor or is there a particular set of steps that I could mount that would eliminate that void while not increasing the rise into the camper? So far I have only seen outside mounting steps and I find it hard to believe that there have not been other complaints of people falling because of this strange and dangerous design.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum Kerry. I had the same problem with our MH. Grandson fell out of it. I made a cover out of plywood and 2x4 to fit right in it, Made a level floor inside but had to be removed when going out. Hope your friend gets well.

LEN

Most if no all class A's have the same problem, a lot have built in step covers that are hand operated or automated with a switch and slide cover. In our class A we have two steps up after the outside steps(long drop) but being at the end of the coach once in not a problem. A very few pushers and a lot of gas coach's plus most 5th wheels have the same problem as the entry is in the kitchen livingroom area and is an ever present problem. I have yet to see a commercial product for the needed cover so it's a home made solution and also a pain the install or uninstall when entering and exiting everytime. Like Nash has done a carpet covered board with 2x4 holding it up and in is one way another is a hinged two piece board also hinged at the end again carpet covered is the only answer. Also safety handles if not installed can be of help just inside the door.

LEN

LEN

Most if not all class A's have the same problem, a lot have built in step covers that are hand operated or automated with a switch and slide cover. In our class A we have two steps up after the outside steps(long drop) but being at the end of the coach, once in, is not a problem. A very few pushers and a lot of gas coach's plus most 5th wheels have the same problem as the entry is in the kitchen livingroom area and is an ever present problem. I have yet to see a commercial after market product for the needed cover so it's a home made solution and also a pain to install or uninstall when entering and exiting everytime. Like Nash has done a carpet covered board with 2x4 holding it up and in is one way another is a hinged two piece board also hinged at the end attached to one side again carpet covered is the only answer. Also safety handles if not installed can be of help just inside the door.

LEN

H2H1

dang this must be an on going problem. I had my grand daughter do the same when they first came to visit us while camping. I , like Len cut a piece of plywood to cover the open steps and put a 2x4 brace to support it. So I know for sure when the GK's come over they will not fall out.

G

I guess i am confused .. what step are we talking about ,, mine has 3 steps into the MH on the out side ,, then 2 more inside ,, also have the cover for the entry door when traveling that covers the 2 steps inside ,, i guess i am am still confused :concern:

C Nash

Most do not have the cover inside where Kerry is talking about Rod. I"m sure your old MH is that way. I thought Len explained it pretty good.

H2H1

sorry Nash, I gave Len the credit for your invention. Like I said, I did the same thing and it works out well.

tnarvs,mine is set up the same as yours.Stored in the wall when not in use,still trying to see how you could miss the inside 2 steps when leaving the camper.Guess it never occured to me,but could happen.

C Nash

Wildcatervin those of us that camp in our campers do remember the inside steps. Kids and folks that are not used to your camper are looking and admiring , in some cases, and pay no attention to the hole.

G

well nash said it ,, my old MH had only 4 steps into it ,, 2 out side and well 1 and 1/2 inside ,, so now i understand ,, thanks ,, and i can see where it could be an issue if u "are not used to the steps" :(