Stomping Grounds in Albuquerque NM

TexasClodhopper

I'm planning a trip into Rod's old stomping grounds. At least we're planning on driving through Albuquerque NM on I-40 on our way to Williams AZ and the Grand Canyon Railway.

Anyone have any suggestions around there?

Also, we'll be going through Sedona AZ on our way to Phoenix for a short visit at the capital of AZ. My brother Alan requires that we see any capitol building from the state we are in!

Any suggestions about the road through Sedona. It looks like it wanders around in a river bottom and then has a bunch of switchbacks to climb a thousand feet!

DL Rupper

Re: Stomping Grounds in Albuquerque NM

Hey Tex,

If you have your RV with you the best route is down I-17 to Camp Verde. Camp at one of the RV Parks in Camp Verde and take a day trip to Sedona (260 to a right on 89A). We stayed at Camp Verde RV Park which is a PA Park. It was OK, but not great.

Also, don't miss JEROME, AZ (260 to a left on 89A). It's a mining town literally perched on the side of the mountain. Both are a must see. :)

rjf7g

Tex-
When are you traveling? Sounds like a great trip.

TexasClodhopper

Thanks for the suggestions, folks!

We're planning to leave about May 9th. That's about 2 weeks earlier than I like, but that seems to be the only time. I'm a little concerned about cold weather, because I'm a hot blooded guy! :clown:

We're going to spend about 2 weeks traveling in a circle around NM and AZ. Definitely going to hit Monument Valley and head back to Texas via Carlsbad Caverns.

My brother, Alan, has to visit the capitols at Phoenix and Santa Fe, so we're including those as side trips. I just have to get to the Grand Canyon before I die. Well, I'm not in any real hurry, but we're going to do that from Williams AZ and take the train ('cause Sallyberetta says so! ;) )

utmtman

Good luck and have fun. If you get a chance stop and check out Petrified Forest National Park, its right on 40 and you can go out the south end and follow it right back to 40 at Holbrook. You'll see why I like workin there so much.

G

well ,, tex ,, since u are just passing thru Alb. and not staying ,, i really can' give u any info on what to see and such ,,, but if u do stay ,, there is a nice CG just off I40 when u hit the city limits ,,, the name has prolly changed by now but it was huge and nice ,, with full hookups ,, now if u stay awhile there ,, i can tell u so much sight seeing stuff ,, that u would have to take another trip to see ,, but good luck ,, and have fun :approve: :approve:
well just looked it up it ,, American rv park ,, it's right off I40 on central ave .. :) btw it's in the rv park reviews web sight ;) ;)

Pancanbob

RE: Stomping Grounds in Albuquerque NM

Hi, Tex :) :)
Looks like a nice trip you have planned. Just for fun I “Google” :approve: :approve: and found that the “Sedona Chamber of Commerce” have a real nice website :laugh: :laugh: with lots of information on thing to do and see :bleh: :bleh: , the only thing is I think you will need longer to see it all. :( :( :(

Their web page is http://www.visitsedona.com/

I do have a word or a few words of advice, check all you storage compartments for stowaways. ;) ;) ;)
I hear tell there are a few “Good Old Boys” :cool: :cool: that have been know to hitch a free ride going south looking for a beach :clown: :clown: . Now, I know there aren’t no beaches in AZ, :eek: :eek: :eek: but there is “sand”, :approve: :approve: so be sure them compartments are locked too :8ball: :8ball: , they may try to get on at a stop light!! :angry: :angry: :angry:
Have a good and safe trip. :) ;) :laugh: :approve: :shy:
Enjoy yourself you only pass this way once! :approve: :approve:

TexasClodhopper

Bob, the 'stowaway' of record here (Rod-730) grew up in Albuquerque, and I'm sure the only reason he might go back is to pick up a truckload of those famous chilies! Shame on you for saying BEACH when Rod is listening!

Well, we've always wanted to see Sedona after watching some highbrow hotel show on TV. I don't think we'll be visiting the hotel, but I would like to get out and take a photo or two.

We've been anticipating this trip for two years and have pared it down to two weeks although we don't really have that tight of a schedule.

We usually call a local chamber, so thanks for reminding me. There's usually someone working the phone that knows about someplace where one of their relatives works and can get us a 'discount' if we mention their name. :eek: Yeah, right! :clown:

Pancanbob

RE: Stomping Grounds in Albuquerque NM

Hi, Tex :) :)
Did I say the word BEACH??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I'm so so, very sorry; maybe Rod didn't see the "B” word. :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove: :disapprove:
But remember there were two of them! :cool: :cool: :laugh: :) :approve: :bleh: :approve:
Take Care
:shy: :clown: :approve: :bleh: :cool: :laugh: :) :blush: :blackeye: