Storage of RV when not in use

palco22

I have a 2008 travel trailer. I am very confused on summer/winter storage of the unit when not in use. I have had 4 different directions provided. Should you lock it tight and cover with a cover and place a dehumidifier in the unit? Should you lock it tight, not cover it and leave ac at 90? Should you open vents and not cover? Should you not cover and leave locked tight?
We want to protect our investment but were told that if we cover our unit in the summer when it is humid, mold will grow under the cover on the roof. Any guidance/suggestions welcomed.

H2H1

Re: Storage of RV when not in use

Well I don't know where you are but here in GA it get real cold. I had a TT and winterize it and put a tryvet cover on it, no humidity or mold. I now have MH and do the same thing. BTW welcome to the forum and I am sure other will some good advice for you. good luck :laugh:

rjf7g

I have a 36' park trailer and here's what I do...
...winterize the water system
...close all vents
...place DRY-Z-AIR containers in both sinks
...cover it with a Tyvek cover
...leave it alone (Nov 1 - mid December)
...check it out, empty the water from the DRY-Z-AIR containers (outside)
...open it all up in late March

for my Class C, I winterize and dewinterize all winter as I am able to use it.

palco22

Thank you to all who have responded on storage advise. Winter is easier than summer i guess. What should I do in the summer? The dealer said not to cover, the cover manufacturer says that is the most important time to keep it covered.

DL Rupper

I wouldn't use a cover. They sometimes rub the roof or sides of the RV when the wind blows and the cover shifts and moves.

Grandview Trailer Sa

For SURE don't use a blue tarp. Will ruin your roof.

I have never heard of covering during the Summer. Too much trouble putting it on while you are using. Cover during the winter when it sits still for a while.

DARLING

You never said where you lived, that makes a BIG difference in winterizing & summer care.

Using a cover is personal preference. It is like the Bra thing you put on front of your car. If left on too long the will gather dirt & grit under neath & that causes a whole lot of other problems.

Darlin

jetboat

during the summer, we put a one gallon water bottle (opened) in the sink,so theres moisture in the trailer. also have vent covers and leave them about a inch open.and ALWAYS winterise.

stktrader

RE: Storage of RV when not in use

I had two vent fans installed in the ceiling with outside hoods; one in the front and one in the back of my 5th wheel. The hoods allow you to run them in any weather. I run them on low to medium 24/7 when the trailer sits at the house. I have it set to blow the air out of the trailer. They will reverse and blow air in for other situations. That is the best way to keep the humidity, chemicals from the flake/particle board, etc. out of your trailer. $500 installed. Greg