stuck... just changed batteries and won't start

txrumbleweed

Heard there are some folks in here that are a whiz... I have painted myself into a corner. My Dad's 98 Safari had the chassis batteries go down, so I volunteered to replace them for him. They are two 31 series wet batteries mounted in parallel. After removing the old dead ones, I cleaned the trays and set the new ones in and started wireing them in. The heavy starter cables were a no brainer but there were four small (12 ga) wires for the 1:power to the leveling jacks rear aux panel, 2:the solar panel power, And two unknown from the negative side, one of them going into the main harness that goes up front.
After tightening everything up I turned the switch on,oj got 14 volts on the dash guage, turned to start and nothing happened. Second guesssing got me to trace out the cables, finding the neg. going to the back of the starter, the pos. going to the solenoid on the starter another pos. going to the isolator box for the aux power for starting from the coach batteries. A function that had to be used to start the engine earlier today.
Also, is it normal for the pac brake to cylce when the key it turned to, "on"?

H2H1

Re: stuck... just changed batteries and won't start

not familiar with the Safari, but I guess you can call the manufactory and ask for a schematic or maybe they can tell you. But like you said there are some very smart people on here that may be able to help you out. Good luck. :laugh:

Triple E

Your Pac Brake should be turned on Manually after the coach starts. I won't tell you how I know this,,, but,,, I think you have left a 12 or 10 gauge wire off of the battery that goes to the starting relay. If you have power everywhere except at the key, this is what I would look for. Good luck and let us know what you find.

txrumbleweed

RE: stuck... just changed batteries and won't start

New info: when the key is turned to the "on" position, the dash comes up, tach cyles, Silverleaf goes online, but transmission panel does not light up...

Triple E

Did you recheck your wires at the battery? Transmission not lighting up, hum. I have a inline fuse on the red wire that connects to the starting relay. Might look for that.

snap

RE: stuck... just changed batteries and won't start

Here is a couple things you might try if you can use a test light. First if you can see the solnoid look for a small post with a 10 or 12 gauge wire on it will be beside the big battery cable. Ground the test light to frame or starter case. get a helper . While he is holding the ignition switch in the start position touch your light to the solonoid small post . It should light up If not your problem is most likley between the ign switch and that wire. Most systems use a nuetral safty switch in between the ign switch and the transmission selector linkage could be its not in nuetral or park if it has a park, positon? Shift it back and forth while holding the key to start.
Oh by the way you said earlier in the day you started it using the aux batts does that still work if so you must have other problems. Report back to me on this and tell me where you at . Also what chassis do you have?

txrumbleweed

Thanks for the input... It is a Magnum chassis. I will look at it again tomorrow. The tech line at Monaco(who I guess owns Safairi now) also said to "check for an inline fuse in the battery box". The batteries are in a roll out rack, not in a box per say..... but on the firewall just forward of the tray there is a panel with six fuses of different values that were all good. The tech said that the allison transmission fuse would be 20amp, in a waterproof inline holder, OR may be in a 6 x 8 inch fuse box... close in description to what I found but no fuse was bad or even marked as being for the transmision. Is it normal to have several small (10 or 12 guage) wires going directly to the battery? it seems this may be why he has had to replace the batteries twice now in only 4 or 5 years.

txrumbleweed

:laugh: eureka! Was the Allison tranny box 10 amp main fuse. It was on the font firewall behind the dash 8 or 10 inches from the accellerator pedal. what a pain to get to, but voila it is done. stuck for weeks for a little red fuse. should have stayed on the trail when first traced it to there.... :8ball:
thanks to all for the help.