Stupid Electrical Question

susanmont

I am new to the RV world so here is a stupid question. My electrical system does not work right now but a friend backed his truck to the RV, hooked it up and everything worked. What does he have on his truck that would do that? And is there a portable version of this --- beside a generator? I have a generator, but it does not work the battery side of the camper. (The generator is only working the 110 side)

Thanks

Susan

H2H1

Hi Susan, well it sounds like to me it may be your truck. If it works with the friends truck and not yours, it must be yours. Now does the lights work when sitting and not connected to a truck or power source? if not sounds like a fuse or a bad battery(ies) OR CONNECTIONS, try cleaning the battery cable connections and see if that helps.
remember all the lights work off 12 volts, the fans work off 12 v. ac 120v. microwave 120v.

keep us informed if you find the problem.

TexasClodhopper

Susan, what do you mean "... everything worked...."? If you mean that your 12v battery powered lights work with a vehicle plugged into the RV, then that vehicle is supplying the 12v battery power from its battery through the cord that your friend hooked up to his vehicle.

You may not even have a battery installed in your RV.

susanmont

H2H1;83570 said:
Hi Susan, well it sounds like to me it may be your truck. If it works with the friends truck and not yours, it must be yours. Now does the lights work when sitting and not connected to a truck or power source? if not sounds like a fuse or a bad battery(ies) OR CONNECTIONS, try cleaning the battery cable connections and see if that helps.
remember all the lights work off 12 volts, the fans work off 12 v. ac 120v. microwave 120v.

keep us informed if you find the problem.

Thank you for replying... My Truck does not have the electrical hook up...my friend had one I would like to install one on my truck... What is that thing called? (I would like one installed on my truck too.) AND, is there some sort of portable one that I can purchase that does not have to be installed anywhere. I have a generator, but right now my 12v stuff does not work with my battery (and the battery will not charge). I am going to take it to get it replaced - I just can not get it to the dealer to have it worked on at the moment
Currently nothing really works on its own. When I hook the generator up the outlets will power low voltage appliances (like a fan), but not the TV. The battery will not charge and nothing else works... lights, fans, appliances. I have everyone stumped. We are expecting a lot of rain the next couple of weeks and I can not get the trailer off my farm. It is just two months old and I have barely used it. Not a happy camper.

Thanks again.
susan

H2H1

OK, I am now thinking it is your battery. If your generator want supply enough power to run all the 12v or 120v then it to must be under power, what size is the generator? I have 5500 Marquise , which mans 5500 watts of power, and run things OK

blackout

It is called auxiliary power. It comes from the 7-way connector on your tow vehicle. Depending on year and make of your vehicle you may have to have a wire ran from the front of the vehicle to the back. However if it is new enough it will already be wired, you would then have to hook that wire up, most likely under the fuse box, and install a fuse.

TexasClodhopper

The battery or truck connection will not have any affect on your AC appliances (such as a TV.)

By your description, you have more problems than a battery or converter will solve. Get it to your "dealer" and let them find out what is wrong.

susanmont

blackout;83578 said:
It is called auxiliary power. It comes from the 7-way connector on your tow vehicle. Depending on year and make of your vehicle you may have to have a wire ran from the front of the vehicle to the back. However if it is new enough it will already be wired, you would then have to hook that wire up, most likely under the fuse box, and install a fuse.

Now we are talking. My Jeep (I call it a truck --- yeah, I am a girl) does not have this. It is a 2006 Wrangler extended cab thingie. Now that I know what to call it I can get it installed. The camper is in serious trouble. I have lots of different generators. I have a Kholer one that could power a large RV camp. I have a Honda one that is what I usually use. I have hooked my camper to both and it only powers some 110 appliances. The battery, of course, does nothing but sit there. We do have a battery and it is brand new, but alas, it is just taking up space. I am hoping since the truck, when hooked, powered most stuff that it will not be an expensive fix. I know that everyone is stumped when I describe my issues.
It is going to rain here all week and I am not going to be able to get my camper back to the dealer until it drys a bit... so I must learn patience.

Is there any device I can get that is a mobile 7 way connector? Something I can hook up to a generator that I then can hook that camper plug too? Just curious. Again... thank you for the reply's.

Thanks again everyone.

susan

G

i am kinda puzzled too ,,, but thats easy for me to do :) ,, if i may ,, do u have a disconnect switch in ur tt ??? i for one don;t see why , if u have the "gensets u do" why u can't get 12 volt power ,, it one of 3 things (and others have said it ) ,, (1) ur battery is bad (2) ur converter is bad or (3) u have a serious wiring issue ,, what i would do ,, IMO is with the rv plugged in to shore power (120 Volts) take the battery leads off and with a meter (if u have one ,, or can borrow one) see what the readings are at the battery terminals (that u took off from the batteries) they should be 12 volts ,, if nothing ,, then the converter is bad ,, if u have 12 volts ,, then more cking is to be done ,, but also to re say a few things ,, ur converter will work the 12 volt stuff even with the disconnect switch off ,, while being plugged into 120 volt shore power ,,, IMO ,, i think u have a ground issue ,, but need more info :)

C Nash

Have you checked all your GFI 120 outlet to see if it has thrown. Should be in the bathroom. This an kill soe of the applianes but not 12 volt lights. If its working with the truck plugged up it has to be a battery, fuse, disconnect switch or wiring problem. Keep us posted.

susanmont

Update on electrical

C Nash;83596 said:
Have you checked all your GFI 120 outlet to see if it has thrown. Should be in the bathroom. This an kill soe of the applianes but not 12 volt lights. If its working with the truck plugged up it has to be a battery, fuse, disconnect switch or wiring problem. Keep us posted.

It has rained all week here in the mountains and so I could not get my camper out. My son is going down this weekend and hopefully we can get it towed to the dealership. I am also hoping, since it is brand spanking new, that it will all be covered. I will let you know as soon as I know something. I figure it is D. All of the above. I just can not imagine what would do it. We have not had a bad electrical storm. The only thing I could think of is a power surge from my big generator (the Kholer one that could power a small town).

Thanks again everyone.

s

susanmont

The problem

H2H1;83610 said:
don't tell the dealer that, I feel sure that would void your warranty.

No, I didn't tell him that... I got it to the dealer and the 12 volt converter was dead. I have no clue how it could have happened, but it is now where it needs to be and will get fixed.

Thank you all so much for your help. You are the best!

susan

H2H1

good deal, glad the problem was found and now being fixed. Now once you get it home, load it up and go camping.