suburban water heater

speedman42

I have just bought a 1993 innsbruck camper. I have to replace the hot water heater. It has a suburban sw6de. I just need to know how to operate it after I install it. I found a switch over the kitchen sink. I would like to only use the electric side of the hot water heater since it is on a permanet lot and I have electricity. any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Kirk

Re: suburban water heater

They really are not difficult to use. The model number translates to sw6 is six gallon, the DE means direct ignition/electric or that it has both propane and electric heat. It does not have a pilot light. Most likely the switch that you found is for the electric heater but there is also probably one inside of the access panel on the outside of the RV. Most Suburban electric models have a switch there for the service tech. For it to heat on 120V-ac power, both must be on.

There should also be another switch for the propane side. Usually that one is located on or near the tank monitor panel. It should also be a rocker switch and there should be a light near it to indicate if the propane is called for and fails to light. You can operate with either mode of heat, or with both at the same time. When all works well, there is really very little involved. Just turn on the power that you wish to use and it works.

I take it that you are sure that the present one needs to be replaced?

Grandview Trailer Sa

An Innsbruck will have the SW6DE water heater, but the electric switch is on the outside in the lower left corner behind the cover.

The switch over the sink is for the gas ignition. Gulf Stream does not install an inside electric switch in the Innsbruck.

speedman42

The man I bought it from said that it was leaking so he bypassed it and did not use it anymore. I looked and it is leaking from outside the camper. I just assumed that like other water heaters that the tank was bad and had to be replaced.
should I look at something else?
Thanks,
Mike

Grandview Trailer Sa

You need to make sure that the tank is your leak. That heater is about $450.00, if I remember right. The other day I thought I had a split tank in a customers heater, but it turned out to be a loose fitting near the heater, and water was spraying on it. At a quick glance, I would have sworn that the tank was split.

You say it is "leaking from outside the camper". What exactly are you seeing?

speedman42

There is alittle rust it looks like comming from the annode plug, I think that is what I am looking at. It is a plug toward the bottom of the unit from outside the camper. I have just now purchased this and it is my first camper so I am learning as I go.
Thanks,
Mike

G

Mike the way u described u'r leak ,, and what u see ,, i would say that anode rod plug is leaking ,, and i bet that the anode rod itself is gone ,, it's in there to be ate up by sulfates,, that way they attck the rod insted of the tank of the wh..
Have u tried taking it out ,, and seeing how much rust comes out ,,, that is if u can get it out ,,, but see if u can and post us back on the outcome of u'r findings
;) :) :) :)

speedman42

Thank you very much for all of the information. I will repost and let you know what I find out. I have already purchased a new water heater and have it in my garage. I am going up to the lake where the camper is Tuesday morning to work on it. Look for my post Tuesday Night.
Thanks you guys are great,
Mike

Grandview Trailer Sa

The Anode Rod is designed to be replaced, perhaps annually maybe longer, depending on your water. Take a 1-1/16" socket with you and some teflon tape. It runs about $10.00. If that is your leak, a LOT cheaper than the whole heater.

Let us know.

Kirk

Let's hope that it is just the anode, or some other leak which is much less expensive and easier to repair. The other thing that can quite commonly leak is the pressure relief valve and those also can be replaced.

speedman42

I did not get to go up to my camper yesterday but I am going today. I will let you guys know what I find out tonight.
Mike

speedman42

Well here it is guys. I went up yesterday and found that the water heater had been leaking around the anode rod. The problem is it had been like that a really long time. When you tried to remove the anode rust just flaked off the tank around the rod. I went ahead and changed out the water heater. The only problem I had was the heater I bought was made for a flush mount door, and the one that I had was an outside mounted door. I went to my locall RV dealer and he ordered me a new door kit. I hope I can mount the new door without having to remove the new water heater.
When i finished the installation I went in flipped the switch and that bady lit up and in about 10 minutes I had hot water! I bought the hot water heater off ebay from a RV dealer in Knoxville Tn. I bought it brand new still sealed in the manufacturers box for 272.00 including insurance. I thought it was a pretty good deal..
Thanks for all your help guys,
talk soon,
Mike :laugh: :)

Kirk

You got an outstanding deal. Wonder if it might have been hot? You wouldn't think so but I'd bet that Ken can't buy one from the factory for that price.

speedman42

Yes I knew that is was a real deal... I was alittle afraid of but when I started checking and it was a dealer I took a chance on it. It was brand new still sealed and in the factory box.
works great.
I guess I just got lucky.
Mike