Sunline without benefit of How-to-use advise

Barry

Just Purchased a never used 2003 sunline T1950 directly from an individual who unfortunately became sick and couldn't use it ! Never owning a camper before I know little about operation of a container unit should as this. I have the general manuals but didnt get the benefit of having someone demonstrate its many features..My question, I noticed the battery compartment is full of what appears to be soapy water ! Is this a winterization or protection technic ?

Also noticed that the battery after towing the trailer 400 miles only remained charged for perhaps two weeks after parking the unit. It was only parked in my yard and only turned on inside lights, etc to see that all components worked properly. Could my The Battery be defective ?

Thanks, I am stressed, but terribly excited !!!

retlveit

I doubt if the battery is defective, probably something is left on. This may range from the obvious lights to a short in something. Don't forget the refrig may run off the battery if switched to that. Most RV's (if not all) have a master power shut off. My Alfa's 5th wheel is a knife switch in the utility compartment. (where the power and the water is distributed). Look for a, say 5x7" grey box mounted on a wall.

I betcha if you visited a dealer and were upfront w/him, he would recognize a potential customer and go through the trailer from A to Z.

Congrulations and good luck!

hertig

Being a 2003, it should still be under warrenty. Check the owners manual for any notes about your 'soapy water' in the battery compartment, but that does not sound normal to me. How much water are we talking about here? What keeps the water in the battery compartment? Be careful about getting this liquid on you or anything else until you determine what it is.

Barry

The battery sits inside an protected plastic container just behind the propane tanks. Ita approximately 1-inch larger on all sides, than the battery itself. With the battery present, the container is completely full of this soapy water up to the top edge of the battery.

retlveit

I've never run across a battery sitting in soapy water... Maybe it's the previous owners idea of protecting it or perhaps a leak dripped into it? I think I'd call him and ask. Come to think of it, I betcha thats it. Once I was in a downpour in my Porsche, didn't think too much about until a few weeks later I was having it serviced at one of those quick lubes, the tech had me look at the battery, it was sitting almost level in water. I surmised the down pour overwelmed the drainage holes and plugged them with leaves and crap. Sure enough, once we lifted the battery up the drain holes underneath were plugged pretty good. I bet thats your problem too.

hertig

In any case, check to make sure it is not acidic before getting any on you, or your clothes, or metal or anything else you would prefer not to be destroyed. Easiest way to check is to get some in a glass eyedropper and mix with a little baking soda. If it fizzes, the liquid is acidic.