surge protector

dennisjew

Hi,

I've just purchased my first RV (Travel Trailer). My wife and I are having lots of fun furnishing it like a home. My question: is it worth the money to purchased a power surge protector? They are a few hundred dollars. I'm assuming in order to run a RV park you need to have electrical and sorts up to code. Any suggestions out there?

Thanks so much. This is a great forum!
Dennis

MarkT

RE: surge protector

Dennis:
After many surge protectors that didn"t work in all situations. I purchased a Progressive Electric management system. I have a 30 amp system and the price was $249.00. It protects against surges up to 3700 joules, polarity protection. Lost neutral, low and high voltage protection from 104v shutoff to 132 volt shutoff and protects against miss wired power posts.
Yes a few campgrounds especially have hot grounds and mostly low voltage.
I have no interest in this product, other than it works very well.

Yours in Christ
MarkT

outdoors4ever

a good quality one is a smart investment, a few years back we were in a campground in Montana without a supresor and they was a voltage spike that damaged our rig. needless to say we have had one ever since. call it a cheap insurance policy.

TexasClodhopper

Re: surge protector

A "surge protector" will not do anything much for you if there is a lightening strike somewhere in the vicinity. It just doesn't have the capacity to do that electrically. Just like "insurance" doesn't "protect" you.

Now, a "whole house" style protector will divert some charges to ground. However, they have to be installed correctly with a very good ground connection. They are not usually portable.

Search this forum for "surge" and you'll find some information and lots of disinformation.

PS. Most folks that recommend "surge protectors" swear by them right after they've had some electrical damage without one hooked up. Few have experience WITH a "surge protector" in "action."

westom

My question: is it worth the money to purchased a power surge protector? They are a few hundred dollars.
First, a power strip protector does nothing until voltage exceeds 300 volts. View its box. Find the 'Let-through' voltage. Voltages below that are ignored.

Most common voltage problems in a park are voltage variations well below 300 volts. Most electronics are so robust as to make these voltages irrelevant. But motorized appliances are at risk.

Second, another destructive voltage is a surge. A short spike that seeks earth ground. Anything inside an RV that would make that transient irrelevant is already inside electronics. If that surge is so large as to overwhelm internal protection. well, the only solution is to earth that transient before it enters an RV. Destructive surges seek earth ground. Incoming on any hot wire. If not earthed before entering the RV, then it will find earth destructively via appliances.

Either you earth every incoming wire before it enters the RV. Or you have no protection. You cannot earth an AC hot wire directly. So a protector connects from that hot wire, as short as possible, to the common earth ground. Connection must be as short as possible - single digit feet. Often earth ground can be obtained by the power pole. Either a connection to earth via a protector is many times shorter than a connection to the appliance. Or you have no effective protection. Protection is always about the shortest connection to single point earth ground.

Also explains why power strip protectors are useless. Ineffective protectors do not make a single digit foot connection to earth. Ineffective protectors - especially the most expensive power strips - will not discuss earth ground. The so called 'quality' power strips are profit centers. Contain the same circuit that sells in the grocery store for $7. Is promoted mostly by myths.

In every case, an effective protector for voltages exceeding 300 volts is a protector from every wire inside every incoming cable, as short as possible, to a common earth ground. Not safety ground. Earth ground. Where surge energy gets harmlessly dissipated.

Defined are two different problems often solved with different devices. Neither is solved by 'magic box' power strip protectors.