Taking Another Run At It

DodgeCodger

Greetings:

Up until last summer, I had a '78 Dodge Tiogo II - 17". I mainly lived outa' that for about a year and a half. Didn't hardly use any of the onboard systems, though. Sold it last July.

Just recently got a '77 Dodge 24'. The RV cabin is an "Establishment" which appears to be a rarer build. This one has even more systems and amenities.

Like so many, I'd like to refurb/recondition this one, too. But, not being especially skilled at mechanics/elec. this poses some real challenges.

I got a Hanes manual for the Dodge Van off eBay. I've picked up a coupla' books about somewhat general RV maintenance/repair too. Particular info for exactly what I've got is a bit hard to find, incomplete and yet to be seen how useful in these references.

Many years ago, I did some work on vehicles I owned. I've got a mongrel collection of tools, which may be roughly adequate for common things. These include auto mechanic, general "handyman", carpentry, plumbing, elec., etc. Don't have some of the big stuff, like beefy jacks and none of the more sophisticated equipment.

I've been doing some searching, like about carburetor work, and notice that the internet isn't as useful for such things as it was some years ago. Probably been a zillion of us half-competents get online hoping for guidance, resources and help in making real headway with our rigs and specific projects.

But also seeking some plain ol' "community".

Right now, I've got the rig parked in a paid lot/storage area. I'm renting an "office" nearby that I'm actually discretely lodging within. I've also got a motorcycle that is my main actual transportation. The rig runs and drives and is street legal. My main need is probably the carb. Idle is sketchy and coming off the line there's a very tricky zone where it tends to falter and die way too much. So that's got to be corrected.

I'm on a very modest fixed income, so funds are real tight. Once I can get the rig in reasonably reliable shape, I can reside in it and not spend too much on this other arrangement. Chicken/egg predicament.

Anyhoo, hi there!

C Nash

Welcome to the forum. Hard to say but I would check for vacuum leaks for poor idle and hestitation. Proper adjustments on timing and dist check also. Which carb do you have?

akjimny

Hi Dodge and welcome to the RVUSA Forum. I have to agree with Chelse and Hollis - I would replace every piece of rubber hose and then give the carb a good shot of aerosol card cleaner and a couple of bottles of cleaner in the gas tank. Or you could rebuild it. You should be able to get a rebuild kit from NAPA. Good luck with it and post back to let us know how things work out.

DodgeCodger

C Nash;77155 said:
Welcome to the forum. Hard to say but I would check for vacuum leaks for poor idle and hestitation. Proper adjustments on timing and dist check also. Which carb do you have?

Yeah, someone else suggested the vacuum advance. I'm reading up on how to check/replace that. While I'm at it, I'm putting together a list of other reasonable things to check and take care of, too.

Thanks.

C Nash

I never liked the rebuild across the counter. I had rather buy a kit and rebuild myself especially if it's original carb. The vac advance would not cause the problem you are speaking about. IMO. We are talking vac hose. The vac advance could very well be bad but would affect MPG more than anything. Most vac advance work off idle or above idle. Keep us posted

LEN

Gotta disagree on the vac advance. Either a hole in the diaphragm or a bad hose could/would give a falter with little to no advance on acceleration. With a bad accelerator pump in the carb could do it also. Bad plugs, rotor, distributor cap and wiring also. As to rebuild on the carb, look to see if the linkages are worn as this causes air leaks and even the rebuild would not cure that. Trouble rebuilt carbs use old carbs with worn linkage also. When working with such and old rig SO many things to look at.

LEN

C Nash

Most vac advance do not work on Idle. Yes it could cause hestitation on slow acceleration. Easy way to check it is to blow smoke into the hose leading to it. If you have a timing light ck the timing and it should advance per specs. Check to see if you have vac to it at idle. Most models in this period did not advance at idle. Just right above idle and most would lose vac under full acceleration. The centrifucal advance in the dist also gave a lot of problems but again this would not affect idle. lots of things come to mind such as valve, cam problems. Keep us posted