Technique For Keeping Rats and Mice Out of an RV

Discussion in 'RV Tips & Tricks' started by Rayzen, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Rayzen

Rayzen Junior Member

Recently, I read one suggestion about how to keep mice & rats from entering an RV; it consisted of placing metal ducting around each tire. The idea is that the ducting is too slick for them to climb and too high for them to jump onto. Being placed around each tire, it prevents them from climbing up the tire treads, then into the RV via whatever entrance they can find.

However, the person who posted this excellent-sounding idea didn't really give any details about just what kind of ducting he was talking about, other than saying that he got it at Lowe's.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this method? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you as to just what kind of ducting is being used, here, and exactly how it is done.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Neisman

Neisman Junior Member

Probably galvanized stovepipe. It might work, but it would take a lot of pipe and the pipe would have to be about 10".
  3. luv2travel

luv2travel Junior Member

Oh wow, I didn't even think of this! I certainly don't want to EVER see mice or rats in my RV. After 11 years we had our first "terrorists" in the house. We caught 3 of them and it was enough to make me crazy!
  4. Crusin

Crusin New Member

Another good method would be to put moth balls inside the RV as well as under the hood because the smell repulses mice and rats. Works every year. Also great for boats and vehicles. Never had any mice problems.
  5. Isabella John

Isabella John New Member