The cat's meow

CharlieS

I purchased a MiFi card from Verizon so that my wife and I can have access to the internet while we are on the road. Actually my wife is still working and requires internet access for her job. This card allows us to be mobile.

This thing is great. We are on the road this weekend and are using the card for the first time outside our home. We are both on the internet at the same time- connected wirelessly to the MiFi card and it is just like being on our cable internet at home.

The MiFi card creates a hot spot in your RV and up to 5 computers can connect to it wirelessly at the same time. It is password protected so your neighbors cannot help you use your bandwidth.

The Verizon card cost about $100, I think Sprint is giving theirs away. The monthly service is around $60 per month. Well worth it if you require reliable access to the internet.

There is no end to where technology will take us.

Charlie

JimE

RE: The cat's meow

As a Verizon employee I appreciate the plug. I use mine on the road all of the time to keep up and it works great. Just wait till 4G starts rolling out next year!!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: The cat's meow

Charlie showed me that card last week, about the size of a credit card....amazing. I need to check with US Celluar...

Jim, I have Verizon at home for phone and DSL, but their cell service where I live is the pits.

utmtman

I have a verizon card as well as moto sat satellite. I love the speed of the verizon card but it sure gives me a lot of problems. Works great if downloading but everytime we access our emails or go to our different bank or credit card accounts it crashes and I have had verizon on the phone three times now for the problem. I have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling for it to work to do our accounts and emails.

mda

My wife and I use a AT&T USB laptop connect card which works great on our Macs. We can be on together thru our laptops wi-fi. It works on EDGE, 3G and the new faster 3G which AT&T is rolling out. Used it all over the country last summer without any problems. Cost is $60/month unlimited data. With no disconnections, we have found it to be very reliable.

Kirk

We gave the USB version of the Verizon air card and really like it so far. We have had ours for about six months now. We use ours with a router from Cradlepoint that hosts the air card and then we can both be on it at the same time and we even allow our friends who are presently visiting with their RV to connect up as well. We love ours but since we also spend time in some pretty remote areas, we also purchased a cellular repeater which boosts the cell signals when in weak areas so that the internet is faster and our cell phones, from AT&T are also better.

CharlieS

Kirk

I like the idea of a cellular repeater, but am having trouble visualizing how that might work.

Do you have any info on the one you have?

Charlie

JimE

The repeaters work great, I have them in all of my work trucks in West Texas where the signal can get spotty.

CharlieS

Okay..

I found the repeaters on line and understand how they work. Not cheap though, are they?

utmtman

I also have a repeater but found that its fine if we are within 10 feet of it. But after that it doesnt make a difference. Ours is the wilson and we bought it from a verizon store in Idaho summer of last year.

Shorty

Running with Sprint card....using google earth...pretty soon with local live maybe we will actually be able to see ourselves on the road via the card and linked to a sat live picture
I see it coming...just think of what cell phones looked like 10-15 years ago
Ahhh...bag phones, Motorola Brick, the Star-Tac(really miss that one)
I'll be quiet now ;)

G

now come on shorty ,, i know u as me ,, are still using that "brick phone" ,, but damn if i can get mine to keep the battery up for more than 4 calls a day,, and to think ,, GTS and Hollis thought i was avoiding thier calls :eek: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :clown:

Triple E

Lee and Fran, I was having the same problem. Verizon sent me a new dongal and the problem went away. Verizon paid for the shipping and the return shipping. Are you stuck with the 5 gigs a month?

:8ball:

Shorty

I was told that Sprint now has an agreement to use Verizon & Alltel's towers. I have been using the sprint broadband cards since they came out. With the added Wilson antenna I was able to use either my Alltel(Verizon now) phone or the card almost everywhere east of the Mississippi. Northern Wisc & NW Maine were hit & miss.
Rod, instead of phones...maybe just a good ham radio :laugh:

utmtman

Verizon just sent me a new dongal and its working a lot better and yes I am stuck with the 5 gig a month.

DL Rupper

I use the Verizon USB aircard and haven't had any problems with it. In fact I'm using it right now in my Condo. As long as you only use laptops, they are a great way to be connected. :cool:

5 Gigs is about 4 gigs a month more than I use, but the cheaper service ( ?? # of mega bites a month) will allow about 1 download a month before you start paying for each little bit. :laugh:

Shorty

Since I sit in front of these things all day long, I try to vacation where there is no signal and blame the equpment when I get back ;) ;)
Rice Lake hayward area in North Wisc...couln't even get Sat...got xm and 1 local religious blues indian station I wanna go back but he bevers scared me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: