Time Shares

dugnmarn

What is the gernal RVing opinion of time shares? We recently visited a camp in the Niagara area and, while it was a very nice campground, we had decided it wasn't for us. The 2.5 hour high pressure sales pitch made what would have been an enjoyable vacation not so much so. Our major concern was the lack of affiliated campgrounds in the areas we prefer to camp. The salemen were convinced that we would change our choices of destination.

Any comments?

DUG

C Nash

Re: Time Shares

Bet they also told you you had to sign today to get the special price :laugh: . Not for me but might work for some.

TexasClodhopper

Time shares have been around for at least 30 years that I personally know of. These companies don't care whether it's an RV spot, an apartment or a condo, they'll try to sell it.

It's really the only legal way to sell the same property many times over and get away with it.

Everyone that I've known that has done it, has regretted the transaction the rest of their life. Perhaps in the highly populated east it makes sense. I don't know.

elkhartjim

I actually had very good luck. We bought a resell timeshare about 15 years ago in Lake Tahoe. Cost $2800 for three bedroom, two bath any week of the year. Maintenance fees started at $300/yr and when we sold it about 4 years ago the mtc fees were $765. We sold it for $6000. You can only justify if you are going to use it. We went every year either skiing or hiking. The problem today as I see it, timeshares start at some undgodly amount so you could never recover your cost unless you lived to be 150. Just my experience. Too each his/her on.

Kirk

Time share campgrounds are really a close relative of the RV park groups like Coast to Coast. Just a higher price and more limited, for the most part. We listened to a pitch for one several years ago in Las Vegas. The deal was that they would give you $50 to listen. I worked with sales people for 30+ years and know the routine so I just said yet to everything to get the guy to breeze through his presentation and save us time. He just knew he had us! But when he got to the "sign here" part I told him "no thank you. Give us our $50." He was really pissed! And when Pam started to laugh it really didn't seem to make the guy feel any better.

This one only had five parks, all in Utah or Colorado.

Gruffy

We have friends with hotel timeshares...... maintenance cost is $50 a night.... motel 6 has a weekly rate of $50 a night.... one place says "Resort" the other "Motel".....

I suspect RV time shares are no better....

Paul235

If you really want a time share, look at the aftermarket sales. They can be had for pennies on the dollar as the buyers are desperate to get out of the contract.