Tire width?

IowaCornDog

We own a Nomad 15' camper trailer. Small? YOU BET! But we just love it.

My question is; Does anybody think putting on wider tires would increase stability?

Told by friends that a twin axle trailer add's driving and parking stabiltiy.
We won't sell it, just trying to make our RVing a little more comfortable.

We love reading the forums in here.

H2H1

Re: Tire width?

no dumb questions on here, however, the right person with the right knowledge has not came on or read your post. I suggest you hold on and I bet you will get a very intelligent answer. :laugh:

C Nash

What size are the tires. There should be no stabilty problem with a 15 footer if the right size are one it. Do you have room for a wider tire? Doubt that it would help much. Are you talking about when parked or towing?

IowaCornDog

RE: Tire width?

I'm just trying to get twin axle stability out of a single axle trailer, that's all. Thought perhaps wider tires would accomplish that.

Thank-you for your responces

Grandview Trailer Sa

I only saw this tonight....A single axle trailer does have more tendency to sway. You MUST have tounge weight on ANY trailer.
A double axle will tow better, but I don't think wider tires will make your trailer tow better.

LEN

If the tires are the problem, One could get tires with more ply's in the sidewall and this should stabilize the squish(technical term here) in the sidewall. But first as Ken said make sure you have enough tongue weight and install a sway dampener. One other thought is the trailer level when attached to the tow rig.

LEN

RE: Tire width?

Well I guess tire width would really matter especially for these long trips all over the country with your RV. Wider tires means more traction, but also means more drag so it will boil down to a matter of preference in the end.