Tires

Discussion in 'General RVing' started by jaz1949, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jaz1949

jaz1949 New Member

Is there any reason why good car tires couldn't be used on a 25' 5th wheel, instead of so called "trailer use only" tires?
    Thanks

2. LEN

LEN Senior Member

Re: Tires

No! With a big IF, and that is IF they have a load rating and I don't think car tires do. And the load rating is enough for the fully loaded 5ver, and this is not a guess either it must be weighed and at least a bit of xtra capacity. I don't think it is worth the risk, and here is another if. If you were to have a blowout and cause a big crash your insurance might not be good because of negligence(not having the correct tires) and I would bet a smart lawyer could have a hay day with your nest egg.

LEN

3. rjf7g

rjf7g Senior Member

Go cheap on something else...if anything, get more robust tires than the manufacturer recommends.

4. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

I second what Ms. Fisher stated, if you need to cut cost, look somewhere else. Please, as a safety reason don't skemp on the tires. The life you save my be mine :laugh:

5. jaz1949

jaz1949 New Member

Thanks for the info. I wasn't planning on skimping on the tires, just a query.

6. bflorence

bflorence New Member

would anyone know the size of a 2001 starcraft pop-up trailer; make =star; model =travel; style=travel; we just purchased and i want to replace the tires.thankns

7. bflorence

bflorence New Member

would anyone know the size of a 2001 starcraft pop-up trailer; make =star; model =travel; style=travel; we just purchased and i want to replace the tires.thankns

8. Guest

Guest Guest

welcome to the forums ,, and u might look on the side wall of the tire ,, u should see the tire size there ,, and no I am not being a smart a** ,, just letting u know ,, and if u do get new tires ,, stay away from the Carlisle tires ,, get something better ,, yes they will cost ,, but in the long run ,, better ,, JMO

9. H2H1

H2H1 Senior Member

Jaz1949, have you gotten your new tires yet, if so let us know what you got, This will be helpful for others who may be looking also.