to flush or not to flush

radarbugs

i just bought a 26 ft fleetwood tt and need some advice. the holding tanks are empty now and are ready to use. when i get to the coast next week i will be hooking up to full hook-ups and was going to start vacation. should i run the water hose to the main lead on my tt and run the waste hose to the camp septic system and open the grey and black water valves and let it just run, or do i want to run the waste line, keep the valves closed and let the tanks fill up some then flush them when they get close to full? my buddy says he leaves the tank valves closed and when they start getting full, he opens the black water valve and drains it, then opens the grey water and lets the soapy shower and dish water go next to clean out the waste. do you then close the valves and fill the tanks up a little and rinse again or what. new to other than hotel or tent camping.
thanx
radar :question:

H2H1

Re: to flush or not to flush

HI Ron, I normally let mine get about 3/4 full and then empty the tanks in order as you describe . Black tank first then the gray, and then flush the black again. I would keep a little water in the Black tank just to help break the paper down. I recommend you back flush each and every time you empty it. BUT that JMHO
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LEN

I'm with Hollis, do the same. Wait till they are near full(think you will find yourself dumping the gray a couple times before the need on the black water tank) then dump the black then the gray with a rinse of the black tank then add a couple gallons of water to get things started.

LEN

AVTraveler

Whatever you do, DO NOT leave the drain valve open on the Black Tank. The Black Tank needs to be at least 3/4 full before you dump it, reason being the solids need the flow of liquid to get it off the bottom of the tank, otherwise you will get a buildup of solids on the bottom of the tank and in time you will be faced with a very costly repair bill. The above posts pretty well hit the nail on the head of the procedure to follow. Be sure to use a good additive to your black tank, this helps control odors, breaks down toilet paper and works on breaking down the solids in the tank.