To Kenworth - a response

Discussion in 'Beginning RVing' started by rjf7g, Sep 5, 2011.

1. rjf7g

rjf7g Senior Member

For some reason, I get "bad request" when I click on your post. So, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your "new to you" camper! Be safe and have fun!

2. akjimny

akjimny Senior Member

Same thing happened to me, Becky, when I tried to read his post. Oh well.......:(

3. Kenworth

Kenworth Member

Anyway...try this again. I just bought a 1996 Sportsman 35' 5th wheel. The trailer sat really low, and my truck kinda high, so I put the axles under the springs, where I think they should be anyway. After putting it all back together I noticed the tires have negative camber, (tilt in at the top). I was wandering if anyone had ever done this before, and if I was doing it right by just flipping the axles over, or should I have cut the spring perches off and re welded them where they should have been. Thanks for the welcomes, and I will have many more questions to follow, I'm sure...-Joshua

4. brodavid

brodavid Senior Member

welcome to the forum

5. TexasClodhopper

TexasClodhopper Senior Member

Sounds like "Messing With Sasquatch" to me when you start doing major surgery to a trailer's suspension. :eek:

6. Grandview Trailer Sa

Grandview Trailer Sa Senior Member

I noticed the tires have negative camber, (tilt in at the top). I was wandering if anyone had ever done this before, and if I was doing it right by just flipping the axles over, or should I have cut the spring perches off and re welded them where they should have been.
    We have done this quite often.....
    You cannot just turn the axles over....there is a camber in the axle and it has to remain arched upward. We weld new spring pads on the opposite side of the axle. I do not burn off the orginial pads as the new pads are only a couple of bucks each and not worth the time it takes to cut the old one off.

7. Kenworth

Kenworth Member

Allrighty, guess I might be doing it again then soon.

8. Kenworth

Kenworth Member

So I was looking today and found that my axles aren't Dexter, but some other manufacturer in Elkhart. I found the company's website, and contacted my local dealer. I have it scheduled next Wednesday to have them do it, for approx $140 in parts, and not to exceed $225 in labor, I am not gonna mess with it. Guess I just wasted a few hours this past weekend, but it was an experience...I guess...