To Kenworth - a response

rjf7g

For some reason, I get "bad request" when I click on your post. So, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your "new to you" camper! Be safe and have fun!

Kenworth

Anyway...try this again. I just bought a 1996 Sportsman 35' 5th wheel. The trailer sat really low, and my truck kinda high, so I put the axles under the springs, where I think they should be anyway. After putting it all back together I noticed the tires have negative camber, (tilt in at the top). I was wandering if anyone had ever done this before, and if I was doing it right by just flipping the axles over, or should I have cut the spring perches off and re welded them where they should have been. Thanks for the welcomes, and I will have many more questions to follow, I'm sure...-Joshua

TexasClodhopper

Sounds like "Messing With Sasquatch" to me when you start doing major surgery to a trailer's suspension. :eek:

Kenworth;73887 said:
Anyway...try this again. I just bought a 1996 Sportsman 35' 5th wheel. The trailer sat really low, and my truck kinda high, so I put the axles under the springs, where I think they should be anyway. After putting it all back together I noticed the tires have negative camber, (tilt in at the top). I was wandering if anyone had ever done this before, and if I was doing it right by just flipping the axles over, or should I have cut the spring perches off and re welded them where they should have been. Thanks for the welcomes, and I will have many more questions to follow, I'm sure...-Joshua

Grandview Trailer Sa

I noticed the tires have negative camber, (tilt in at the top). I was wandering if anyone had ever done this before, and if I was doing it right by just flipping the axles over, or should I have cut the spring perches off and re welded them where they should have been.
We have done this quite often.....
You cannot just turn the axles over....there is a camber in the axle and it has to remain arched upward. We weld new spring pads on the opposite side of the axle. I do not burn off the orginial pads as the new pads are only a couple of bucks each and not worth the time it takes to cut the old one off.

Kenworth

So I was looking today and found that my axles aren't Dexter, but some other manufacturer in Elkhart. I found the company's website, and contacted my local dealer. I have it scheduled next Wednesday to have them do it, for approx $140 in parts, and not to exceed $225 in labor, I am not gonna mess with it. Guess I just wasted a few hours this past weekend, but it was an experience...I guess...