TOAD

lhollatz

We are looking for eperienced input on the best TOAD for simple four wheels down towing. Tow all day with no stops, no modifications and simple connect and drive away.

BarneyS

TOAD

My son tows a Honda CR-V and has excellent results with it. I have also read that the Saturn makes an excellent Toad but I have no personal experience.
Barney

1997 Sunnybrook 26CKS TT
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, short bed, 5.9gas, auto. 3:54
1996 Harley Davidson FLHRI

Edited by - bsmith0337 on May 27 2002 11:11:05 AM

Don Bickel

TOAD

Howdy, I have two toads,both are new vehicles. One is a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other is a Dodge Dakota Quadcab. They both tow very well, with no limits. All you do is put the 4 wheel drive transfer case in neutral by means of a switch on the Dodge and a lever on the Jeep and then put the transmission in park and away you go. When it's just the wife and myself we take the Jeep and when it's me and dog I take the pickup. We looked at the new Saturn suv, but unlike the other Saturns, you can not tow the suv flat on all fours. What a disappointment! Don't know why they made it that way. Don in Sallisaw, Ok.

phillyg

TOAD

Almost all Hondas and Saturns can be towed 4-down, without any modifications.

Phil, Joyce, and Charlie the Sheltie Eog; '96 Bounder 36S towing an '89 Honda Accord

ClemKad

TOAD

I've towed two Neons, a '95 and an '02. While it must be a standard, there are NO restrictions on towing. The Neon is also fairly light at 2200 pounds ('95) and 2400 pounds ('02). Simple to connect? No special issues with the Neon; Depends on what you do for brakes, electrical, etc. I've used all Blue Ox components.

Most towable automatics have some sort of restriction (speed, remove fuses, start vehicle every 4 hours, etc.)

2000 Coachmen 315QB Santara Class C

mr. ed

TOAD

I've towed my 2000 Saturn SL-2 (5 spd) all over the country. It is light (2300lbs) and tracks well behind the MH. Some Saturns need a fuse to be pulled (I believe it is the LS model). Mine doesn't. I just hook it to the MH, make sure the tranny is in neutral (very important...one mistake will probably cost you an engine) and drive away. The car is light enough that I hook it up myself, pulling the vehicle by hand to the ball hitch.

Mr. Ed

ClemKad

TOAD

lhollatz,

Can't help add a comment after reading "Mr. Eds" reply. If you are new to dinghy towing, look into the tow bar mechanisms and types as well as the car involved. I use a Blue Ox Aladdin which slides right into the 2" receiver in the hitch. No trailer balls involved. If the height between the motorhome hitch and the attach point on the dinghy is greater than a few inches, receiver based tow bars are the way to go. Also, they fold up on the motorhome when not in use and automatically adjust when you drive forward. Just get the car close by driving it.

There are many ways to tow. Pulling the car to a hitch ball doesn't fit in my "easy" category. You will find the reciever based hitches to be more expensive.

good luck.