tow dollies

mim

Help..Help.. My husband and I are newbies. I have been reading some other web sites concerning tow dollies and it seems that there should be a braking system on them. Am I correct? We have just purchased a class a MH from a gentleman who purchased a new dollie for the unit about a year ago. He paid about $1,000. for it. He had kept everything pretty much up to date on the coach. Would someone please tell me how I can tell if the dollie has a brake system on it. I would appreciate any information you experienced RV'ers can give us.
Thank you so very much....Mim

planetbob

tow dollies

Um, well, you could ask him, unless he fell off the planet just after selling you his motorhome. But if that is somehow a difficulty, it's fairly easy to tell if the wheels have brake drums and shoes etc. Take a look. If they are surge brakes, then the tongue (the part that contains the hitch, which hooks up to your motorhome...) will be a rather larger looking two part contraption. If neither is the case, then you'll have to look into installing a remote braking system in the vehicle itself, which is not as effective as having all four of the Toad's wheels on the ground btw.
Others are welcome to chime in here anytime...
Oh, and if he paid $1,000 for the tow dollie, it probably has surge brakes, 'cause if it doesn't he paid too much.

ARCHER

tow dollies

I may be wrong, but it may depend on what kind of vehicle your pulling on the tow dolly as to whether you need to have brakes or not on the dolly......I have a 3,500 lb tow dolly without brakes and pull a Honda Accord with it. Hope I don't run into prolems.... :dead:

C Nash

tow dollies

Archer,
The 3500# will exceed the tow limits in quite a lot of the states if it does not have brakes :( I have towed a lot and never been checked for brakes although I have them on most everything above 2000# :approve: Even if you are never checked you could run into a problem with insurance paying if you had an accident :(

Mimm, not to familiar with the dolly but, if it has electric brakes there should be wires going into the wheel hubs. If so you will have to have a brake control added on the m/h. Good luck

ARCHER

tow dollies

Chelse,
Thanks for the info. When I bought this MH in Sep (89 Winn, Chieftain, 31RT) I checked a dealership that sold tow dollies and the owner uses a tow dolly on a 34 footer and said in pulling the Honda, I don't need brakes as it doesn't weigh that much. He pulls something similar to Florida every winter and back to Northern Ohio and said I should not have any problems. The 3,500 lb I referenced was max tow capacity for the dolly. I appreciate your remarks and will check it out a little further. This is my first MH and I'm learning the ropes more and more. I sure don't want to get burned. (by the way, I did not buy the dolly from the guy I mentioned), I bought it from another trailer outfit called MSI, Elkhart, In. The basically told me the same thing.
Hope it works...
:sleepy:

C Nash

tow dollies

Archer, there is a list of the different weight limits somewhere on the web. I will try to locate it again and send to you. It's unreal the different weights from state to state and I have never heard of anyone getting fined. We purchased our first class A this past July and I am still trying to get all the needed tow equipment together. want to go with the four down because we will be traveling. probably will go with chevy tracker 4x4 with the Brake Buddy breaking system

baby bear

tow dollies

MIM
I don't care what the weights are, I wouldn't have a dolly without brakes. Propably something more serious to look at is the hitch weight capacity. Good luck with your adventures, but you can have REAL adventures without brakes on a wet road!