Tow vehicles

the bear

Can anyone furnish the names of vehicles that can be towed 4down without modification. So far I only know of the Saturn. Also any ideas as to where one might check for used tow dollies

C Nash

Tow vehicles

Hi Bear,
Motor Home magazine has a list of 99 and newer vehicles that can be towed 4 down. I have it book marked and will find the web add. and post. i know the cavalier, malibu, tracker 4 wheel dr with locking hubs and I think the Honda crv are towable 4 down. You can also add the remco pump to most automatics and there are axle and driveline disconnects to enable those that are not 4 down towable to be towed. I have also seen the dollys for sell on e-bay. Used dollys will not bring a very good price. I am going through the same thing and just bid and won a tow bar and remco pump on e-bay. Will probably tow our 96 Grand Caravan for now but, really like the KIA Sportage, Tracker and Honda CRV. The Saturn is probably one of the most popular but, getting out of them is getting kind of hard for me. Try this site http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/index.cfm

databack

Tow vehicles

It is my understanding that any stick shift should be OK to tow 4 down. It is the automatic transmission ones that can't do this.

obasfj

Tow vehicles

The Jeep Liberty can be towed 4 down. We did an extensive search and found this and the Saturan to be the only two (in our price range). I understand there is a recall on the Vue, seems the rear wheels were falling off.

Kirk

Tow vehicles

We have now towed our automatic transmission, 4WD Honda CR-V for more than 25k miles and we love it! It is great and it along with the Element and the Vue from Saturn are all towable four down. The Honda even has a section in the owner's manual titled, "Towing Your CR-V Behind a Motorhome."

quote:It is my understanding that any stick shift should be OK to tow 4 down. It is the automatic transmission ones that can't do this.

This absolutely not true! It depends upon whether the input shaft or the output shaft supplies lubrication. Check the owner's manual to be sure. To see a listing of the vehicles that can be towed with no modification, go to http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/.

To see how to modify others to tow them visit www.remco.com

C Nash

Tow vehicles

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my understanding that any stick shift should be OK to tow 4 down.

Kirk is right on this. On some straight shift transmissions the main shaft runs above the lube in the trans case and turns even in neutral. It has to have the lube thrown up from the gears that are sumerged in the lube. i have seen some with elbo fittings in the fill hole so the trans could be overfiled allowing the main shaft to run in lube but, I am not recommending this.