Towing a 'burban...

dooger

Me 'n the family are fixin' to go on our first trip towing a vehicle behind the RV. We are using a '94 4X4 1/2 ton 'burban for the toad. {It is paid for ;>)}. We have the heavy towbar/baseplate and are using a brake buddy with the alert and breakaway systems. My question is which fuse/fuses need to be pulled in order for the battery not to be drained? Anybody else have any tips for towing a suburban. The motorhome is a Monaco 34' with the 275 cummins big block. Not worried about the pulling power, the cummins is stout. The brake Buddy seemed to work, although we had to set the sensitivity to the Max.

Thanks for the Help.
Raymond Paris

Gary B

Towing a 'burban...

Hi I would call the Brake Buddy folks and ask them about which if any fuse you'll need to remove, I know some GM vehicle need the fuse removed, but don't know which ones. I tow a 1990 Mazda B2200 and don't have to remove any and I have towed for 3 days whith out running the battery dead but it was getting low but it was an old battery also. I have since added a 10 gage wire from the MH to my toad to charge the battery as we go / installed a heavy duty diode isolater it works good. Good luck .
:) :cool:

C Nash

Towing a 'burban...

Dooger, the Brake Buddy will have to have power at all times and this is what will pull your battery down but, if you have a good heavy battery and the charging system is working properly it should not be a problem. Unless you have removed the steering lock pin, you will have to turn the ignition switch to on or acessory position so you may have to remove the accessory fuse. I would do as Gary sugested and install a wire to charge the toad battery.

dooger

Towing a 'burban...

Gary B and C Nash, Thanks for the tip RE: the Brake Buddy. I had not thought about the pump running enough to cause the battery to run down. Accy fuse will come out as well as me trying to run a hot wire to the toad battery. Leaving Friday for Sunny FLA. certainly hope it will be sunny!

Thanks a bunch,
Raymond Paris

C Nash

Towing a 'burban...

dooger, don't think you would have to remove the acc fuse, just make sure all accessories are off. Do you have a digital dash? Some have to pull certain fuse to keep miles from recording while towed. Think the burban will record the miles. Where in Fl will you be going? We just returned from Leesburg, Datona, St Augustine area. Gas prices are high. :eek:

Just went and read your profile and see you like motorcycle racing. You should have made the trip this week because they are having bike week at datona. We toured the race track and they were racing motorcycles AWESOME!!!