Towing a car

C Nash

Re: Towing a car

Just a poor old country boy that looks for bargins and never get in a hurry. Daddy all ways told me to watch the pennies and the dollars would take care of themselves. I found that to be true. No trouble keeping the pennies but the dollars sure fly away :eek: :laugh:

dggreer

I tow a 2005 saturn with all four on the ground behind a2007 allegro bay on workhourse 8.1 with allison. Don't even know its back there, but I did get a ticket in Colorado for not haveing a brake buddy. Some states require any tow over 2000 LB's have some sort of brake assist and all dollys must have surge brakes.

C Nash

David, you are the first person that I have heard that got a ticket for no breaking system on the toad. I would not tow without one.

utmtman

The reason we did not go four down, is when we bought our motor home two and a half years ago we had a truck and car and boat and atvs and so on and we were doing local traveling and camping. Anyway the cost to set up the truck and car for four down as compared to buying a tow dolly made the choice. It would have cost us as much as another 2000 dollars to go with four down on two vehicles as compared to just getting the dolly. Made sense to me. I still have the truck and may still use it from time to time so will still need the dolly.

H2H1

as stated before I tow with a dolly and it has no breaking system on it. And that the first I heard of getting a ticket for not having a break system on your dolly. I like Lee got the dolly as the DW didn't want her car set up to tow on all 4, so to keep peace we went with the dolly. So for it has done really well. I must admit that I don't drive fast, to much to see and don't want to miss any of it. Maybe after this trip in May I will go and get all 4 down if we have any trouble.

retired army

We tow a 2006 Ford Focus with 5 speed manual. All 4 wheels on the ground. We have a brake buddy and have never been stopped in any state where we have traveled. With our Focus all I do is put the gear shift in neutral and turn the ignition key one click to release the steering wheel. No problems. :)

dggreer

As far as getting a ticket for not haveing a brake buddy. I was comeing out of the mountins from the gold towns heading for Boulder. With the overdrive turned off and the grade brake turned on I was haveing no problems and never had any reason for haveing a brake buddy the brakes would stand the unit on its nose with no problems. Half way down and getting a little weary from driveing we decided to stop in a little town at a shopping center and get a few grocerys. I parked next to a patrol car far out into the lot and got out to strech my legs. The patrol man came out of a store walked up and said nice rig. He looked into the car and seen I had no brake assist and proceeded to write a ticket. He then gave me directions to a place where I could buy a brake buddy at a cost of $1300.00. What was aggravating was in the gold towns level ground was hard to find and no parking for a 34 ft motorhome. Word to the wise, if you go up to the high country to the gold towns take your car and not your rig.