towing capacity

BobInOR

I own a 2004 Dodge shortbed 4WD with the 5.9l TCD engine. Everytime I go to the dealer to look at RV's they say, "That can pull anything!" We are looking at the Cougar 320SRX 5th wheel. The truck is stock from the factory, I am wondering if anyone can comment on how well this will do. I don't want to be doing 20 mph over the hills.

The dry weight is 9117 pounds for the trailor. It is a toy hauler, but we don't have any toys to put in it, it would just have our supplies and two dogs. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bob

C Nash

Re: towing capacity

Welcome to the forum Bob. Without knowing how your truck is equiped its hard to say. Pay no attention to what the dealer says. Think you could tow it but would need to know rear axle ratio and it truck has trans cooler and such. I dont like the shot bed for a rv this long. What is the weight rating listed in the owner manuel? You did not say if this is a 3/4 or 1/2 ton. Loaded you are going to be pretty maxed out if it's a 1/2 IMO. The 4x4 will lower the total tow. Really need more info on the truck.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I agree, look your truck up in the owners manual...it will tell you what you can tow. From what you say, my first thought is that trailer is too big for your truck.

BobInOR

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is some more information. The axles are 3.73/4.10. The Gross Combined Weight Rating for the truck is 20,000. The curb weight is 6800. Does that mean that I should be able to pull the difference, in this case 13,200? My Gross Axle rates are 5200 for the front and 6000 for the rear. The engine is rated for 325 hp at 2900 rpm and 600 f/p of torque from 1600. As I said in the original post, part of it is can I pull the 5th wheel, but also, how well?

The 5th wheel is listed with a 9117 shipping weight and 2963 carrying capacity. As mentioned, it is a 2010 Cougar 320SRX. Thanks for any thoughts.

Bob

C Nash

Bob what you have to remember is the curb weigh is empty. It may include 2 passengers at 150 each and the tank full. Bet if you weigh the truck with what you normally have you would find it weighs more. You will be able to tow it I think but I still don't like that heavey and length rv for the shortbed and 4X4. You will also need a slider hitch. Think you would be much happier with something not over 30 ft. Think you will be around your max tow with the 32 ft and 9117 dry weight plus all you will be hauling. Also remember what you tow has to be stoped. JMO